Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

Can still see disconnected/unplugged HH5 after connecting new Smart HH6

Can anyone explain why I can still see my HH5 on my network even though it is unplugged and in a box. I now have the new Smart HH6 plugged in and can see on all my Apple devices and non Apple devices both hubs. Even when I connect to the old HH5 i get  wifi. Anyone know why this is happening and how I can remove it? 

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Re: Can still see disconnected/unplugged HH5 after connecting new Smart HH6

Welcome to this user forum. @jenwils75

They are not really connecting to the HH5, its just that your devices network map is remembering the old connection name.

It may eventually disappear from the network map, or you could disable the network connection, then re-enable it again, to see if it refreshes the network map.

Make sure you delete any stored (remembered)  wireless connections that were used to connect to the HH5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp is back online. Lots of helpful information on BT products.
Some links may be out-of-date, but I will update them when I get time.

0 Ratings

Thanks for your response but I have enabled and disabled the router. It just won't disappear. Also if I connect to the old router I still get the internet. The main reason I want it to go away is that my kids can still go on it, and I can't control the times they use it. I can only control the access with the new HH6 now.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

If the HH5 is unplugged, disconnected, and in a box, then there is no way anyone can connect to it. Any references you see to the HH5, refer to the HH6.

You could prove this by turning the HH6 off, they should have no Internet access.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Ratings

I know it sounds mad, yes it is in the box and unplugged. I get it that the new HH6 is somehow being the old HH5 too, as your are correct if I switch the new HH6 off then I don't get anything. But how can I stop the new one from pretendng to be the old

HH5?

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Just use the HH5 as an alias for the HH6. Not sure how you could totally remove the reference, I would just ignore it.

Maybe another forum member hay have an idea how to remove it from the network map?

Expert
0 Ratings

@jenwils75

Hi,

You didn't say if you deleted the connection on each of your devices.   

Some devices may have a 'Forget' button rather than delete.  In any case remove all the references to the HH5 on all devices and then have them search for a connection and connect to the HH6.  Restarting the Hub will not remove remembered connections from tour networked devices.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

If you have any Windows computers, try the following command from the command prompt

ipconfig /registerdns

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794946(v=ws.10).aspx

For Apple stuff see https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/150804/how-to-refresh-the-shared-list-in-the-finders-side-...

0 Ratings

Thanks for the help, I manged to fix it! I forgot that I had 3 TP-LINK extenders plugged in! I needed to unplug and reset these for the old HH5 router to be forgotten! Now there is no trace of the old HH5. Thanks for your time trying to help me, much appreciated, thumbs up! 

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

@jenwils75

I would keep hold of your old HH5, as some of the HH6s are proving unreliable, and are failing within a short time, so the HH5 is a useful backup.