Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert

Re: Changing default DNS Server

technically it is not really a fix you are after but a feature, I agree one that alll other routers have already but a feature all the same.

For whatever reason, security or not, BT want you to use their DNS servers, could be that they want to try and avoid some form of DNS poisioning although the limitation they have imposed will not stop this happening at a machine level anyway, could be that it was simply an effect of some other change they needed or wanted to make but either way it is  feature change not a fix.

Personally I would not use BT equipment where possible anyway but if I did I would be concerned if they had rushed out a firmware change for this without a period of testing

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Moderator-Retired

Hi everyone,

There isn't any technology out there that will ensure complete filtering of unsuitable content but we are constantly reviewing our security and parental-control software and believe it offers a best-in-class experience for helping parents keep children safe on the internet. We have just made an announcement on how we're making it even easier for people to use parental controls and we are working on how these services can incorporate devices other than PCs into our security suite, we'll be telling customers more about this as soon as we can.

As well as offering free parental-control software to all our broadband customers, we also offer comprehensive internet safety advice to parents and children in our leaflet that is available to download at: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27269

With regard to the way we work with DNS, for security reasons the Home Hub will not allow its DNS gateway address to be changed.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Aspiring Contributor

Craig,

Many thanks for at least pursuing this to some sort of answer.

I guess we wait and see what the announcement is.

However, it is hard to understand how a 'security reason' can be a valid excuse for preventing changing the DNS gateway setting.  After all, you can happily alter the DNS on any connected device and override the Home Hub setting, can you not?  I think more explanation is needed here for us to find this convincing - unless of course the announcement is that BT have struck a deal with OpenDNS or similar and will be incorporating the filtering that is required. Smiley Wink

Contributor

I too am similarly baffled and somewhat annoyed that the DNS settings cannot be changed. My current provider of parental controls offers a "Whole Home " filtering option, but it only works if you can change the primary and secondary DNS settings. I tried using a different router (D-Link Dir655 but I had problems with some of its functions, so I returned it to Amazon for a refund).

Regarding the parental controls offered by BT/McAfee, I tried them but I wasn't impressed as they let through inappropriate material too easily.

Contributor

I have had Infinity since September and my download speed (37Mbits) an upload (8Mbits) have been great.

The web browsing experience is extremely poor. When I mean bad, it takes 10 seconds pause going to some websites.

So I googled this issues and changed my DNS gateway addresses on my Mac. As soon as I pointed to the new servers the 'inherent' delay disappeared - isn't that funny?

When I use BT servers for my web browsing and BBC iplayer content (which sometimes reported my bandwidth wasn't sufficient for streaming) I got a terrible response. In fact it was like going backwards to a modem type experience.

Now I want to make sure that all my home devices have the ability to use faster DNS services but altering the BT Home Hub 3 DNS settings is impossible. This is like having your hands tied behind your back.

It FORCES all the other devices that use DHCP (without the ability or the flexibility to change) to be forced through what I believe are deliberately slowed down servers. This is monopolistic type action here since if we can do it at the client and BT refuses to open this functionality up to its customers it really doesn't look good.

So for the moment, I will consider replacing their supplied modem with one that I choose where I can change the settings I want. They may 'own' the equipment (I'd need to check) but it's not right to restrict this functionality if their DNS servers can't cope or are designed not to cope.

Very bad practice BT. Easily resolved with a different hub. Plus it spoils what is an excellent Infinity service except the one thing that you would like to run fast. Tut tut.
Distinguished Sage

This is an old thread, but you may like to look at this thread which is more recent.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/OpenDNS-with-BT-HomeHub-Broadband/td-p/363155

Although it refers to the HH2, it  could be applied to the HH3.

I came accross this posting as I too wanted to use OpenDNS for web filtering to protect my family across multiple devices and operating systems.   I contacted BT and was left with a very BITTER taste in my mouth when I was told by thier tech guys that there WAS a way to change the DNS, but that I would have to pay £30 for them to tell me how.    Frankly I am angry and shocked that this is not something I can do without paying for thier tech support.

so Mr Incredible, I was wondering if you managed to resolve your problem, or did you have to go down the change of Router / Provider route that it now looks like I will need to take?

Thanks...Rob

Distinguished Sage

BT lock the DNS server settings in firmware to prevent programs from changing the settings, and directing people to rough DNS servers.

You can override the settings on your computer on its network properties.

Or use a different router.

Thanks for the response, but I am confused by it.
1. Malicious programs would be running on a client device and attempting to change the DNS setting on that device. BT locking the DNS settings on the HomeHub does nothing to prevent / protect from this.
2. Any router I have ever used has allowed me to change the DNS there so I don't have to go to each device on my network and manually change it there.

I will probably look at using a different router now, but am just really surprised the home hub can't support this seemingly basic capability.
Distinguished Sage

There were vunerabilities with the early home hubs which allowed scripts to change the DNS settings.

BT also like to make life easier for the helpdesk, and stopping alterations to the home hub reduces the likelihood of problems.

There is a list of routers which can be used on ADSL and Infinity here.

Replacements for BT home hub 3