Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner
0 Ratings

HH3 Port Forwarding

Hi, getting really frustrated with my HH3 since moving to BT Infinity.

I just can't port forward.

I'm running V100R001C01B036SP03_L_B firware.

I've seen various IPs appear as my external address including 86.128.224.0 ... the latest one being 109.155.37.145.

Used forwarding for years but this has completely stumped me.
I've port scanned the addresses from a remote connection and there is never anything there.

Am I missing something here ??? Does BT Infinity mask the external IP or do some sort of NATing ?

I even raised a ticket with BT but they told me I would have to call their premium rate support !

I'm tempted to go to Virgin !!!

Can anyone help ?

Beginner
0 Ratings

Re: HH3 Port Forwarding

[ Edited ]

glad it is not just me. I am about to phone them up about this very issue, wish me luck, will report back.

My story; I run virtual world software on my home server, an art instillation. I was using Sky broadband to host it, but switched to BT as I need a higher upload speed.

Now to make this software work you need a router capable of port forwarding *and* NAT loopback. Set up my BT infinity to handle port forwarding, test the ports from behind the LAN, all work. Try them with a port detector online, i.e. from WAN instead of LAN. Nothing. Dead.

I read the HH3 with older firmware won't port forward ( I have that), so rather than wait goodness knows how many weeks for it to update the firmware, I use a TP-Link router, as TP-Link routers handle both port forwarding and NAT loopback. The new router works fine outgoing, and the wi-fi signal has jumped in speed and reliability. So far so Good.

But the ports are still dead. Now I grow suspicious, as port forwarding is part of the router, and that has been swapped out.

Now I jump onto my neighbours Virgin fibre via my iPad, and enter my IP address into it, guess what. It is blocking everything incoming. It *should* throw up the log in screen for the router.

But you get zip.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

This page may point to the issue.

IP address translation/sharing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back, with lots of useful info for BT home broadband customers..

Distinguished Guru
0 Ratings

Did you know BT have introduced Carrier-Grade NAT?

see http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

You can opt-out apparently
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again Smiley Happy
Beginner
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

thanks for the prompt reply Keith, I am on the shared detection page now. It has my location very wrong, I am in Colchester but that is a minor quibble. The result;

IP Information: 81.147.65.200

ISPSmiley Surprisedrganization:ConnectionSmiley Frustratedervices:City:Region:Country:

ISP: British Telecommunications
Organization:British Telecommunications
Connection: Broadband
Services: None Detected
Exeter
Devon
United Kingdom
Beginner
0 Ratings

it does not appear it is a shared connection.

"If your IP address is being shared, it will be listed under 'Organisation' as 'BT-CGNAT'.

Any other thoughts?

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

If you are on CG-NAT, then your public IP address will be different to your WAN address. BT do not block any ports.

Your location shown is simply the POP site you are connected to, and not your geographical location.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back, with lots of useful info for BT home broadband customers..

Beginner
0 Ratings

ty I appreciate that, this does not appear to be a port blocking problem. It is the connection itself that is being blocked or masked.
Expert
0 Ratings

to be sure your ip is not shared just check your ip address against the ip address shown in the hh3 software, if they dont match it is likely it is a shared connection, i see people saying the hh3 reports an ip starting with 100.x.x.x and this is a shared connection

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

poulsep wrote:

Hi, getting really frustrated with my HH3 since moving to BT Infinity.

I just can't port forward.

I'm running V100R001C01B036SP03_L_B firware.

I've seen various IPs appear as my external address including 86.128.224.0 ... the latest one being 109.155.37.145.

If you are connecting via wireless, are you sure that its not BT Wifi you are connecting to, as I did a quick check against my webserver filtering program, and 109.155.37.145 belongs to BT Public Internet Services, i.e. BT Openzone, BT FON, and BT Wifi?