Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
0 Ratings

TP Link Archer VR400

Hi,

since subscribing to Infinity a couple of months ago my laptop suffered terribly with the BT HH. So I replaced it with a TP Link Archer VR400 (AC1200) seen http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html

Now I'm contemplating ordering BT TV but I can't find any info on this exact model and if it will work. I read the sticky posts that say you have to be able to set VLAN ID to 0 or none? My router has a box for setting that value but it has (1-4094) next to it. 

Does that mean it will not run BT TV?

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: TP Link Archer VR400

I've been using the VR400 since last year. I don't subscribe to BT TV but use all the players. It's the T1000 YouView box from BT. The VR400 works straight out the box, no need to set VLAN.

Contributor
0 Ratings

Installed the VR400 last week and i can confirm BT TV including BT Sport HD and all multicast channels work, however:

1) My setup is VR400 to powerline and then powerline to BT youview box.

With the BT Hub 5 and the above setup I could connect multiple devices to the slave powerline that my BT youview box connected to, so my xbox, TV and youview all connected into the slave poweline via ethernet and all worked without any extra configuration.  The BThub even 'seemed' to prioritise TV multicast traffic as it never stuttered even if i was hammering my internet connection e.g downlonding something at the same time

So i replace the BThub5 with the VR400, same set up as above router - powerline - slave poweline - devices (youview, xbox, tv)

Basically it doesnt work out the box(it does work after some config changes to the vr400 and my hardware setup), I assume due to the VR400 not being able to identify multicast traffic over the same ethernet port as normal data (but i dont know this for sure).  Setting up data priority to the youview box on the Vr400 made no difference either.

The fix is basically to only run router - powerline - slave powerline - youview box only and then setup up data control on the vr400 to prioritise traffic to the youviews MAC/IP address (after you make the IP static/bound within the VR400 config).  If i dont do this, any internet use if downloading at high speed makes the multicast tv channels stutter, after setting it up they are rock solid.

I have tinkered with the IPTV settings on the VR400 but the VP setting is something i dont know and whatver i try just stops it working.  I did read the VP should be set to 0 or nothing, but the router wont accept 0 and if you dont check the enable VP box it doesnt work at all.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Similar issue here, but on a home hub https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Sport-4K-problems-with-NOW-TV-SMART-box/m-p/1...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back online with lots of useful info for BT customers. Some links may be out-of-date, but I will update them when I get time.

Contributor
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

Yes looks simliar

A question for you, i currently use Port 1 on the router in to the powerline and then to my youview box, so basically it the only device connected to the powerline.  I dont have any other powerlines devices or anything else connected to port 1 on the router.  Will multicast traffic still be bombarding my network devices that are connected to the hub on different ports, i assume not?

Dont really want to buy a managed switch if i dont need to, the setup i now have is working and I am happry to run the devices that had been connected to the slave powereline over 5ghz WiFi as i have the whole home wifi now.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

[ Edited ]

I am not sure of the answer, but there have been reports of people plugging other devices, like the Apple Airport Extreme, and having the network saturated by multicast traffic. This was on the home hub.

The VR400 may be doing the same, but looking at the cheaper TP Link router emulator, the TD-W9980 N300, IPTV can only be directed to one port.

See emulator here http://uk.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/W9970V1_Emulator/index.htm

Looking at the VR400 emulator http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/VR400V1_Emulator/index.htm

it shows that only one port can be used, so that would imply that other ports do not carry multicast.

PS: I have moved this thread to the broadband discussion board, as its not a fault with the YouView box or service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back online with lots of useful info for BT customers. Some links may be out-of-date, but I will update them when I get time.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

I have a Youview box connected to port one on the VR400 via ethernet. Port two has an iMac connected via power lines. I also have two Chromecast units via wifi. Have just tried running BTSport 1 on the iMac and iPlayer on the Youview box at the same time plus casting (Chromecast) a radio app. to my radio unit and watching BBC News on the iPad. Not quite the same as yours but all work together OK. Not as heavy usage as yours but there’s not a hint of a problem. On Infinity 1.

Contributor
0 Ratings

The download rate required for running BT Sport 1 on the web browser via a PC/iMac  wont be anywhere near the same load as BT Sport HD on the youview box.  Casting radio stations will use minimal bandwidth, BBC iplayer HD uses approx 3meg.  If you added all the things you have streaming i estimate 10meg-15meg absolute max with many of those apps such as iplayer using buffering to minimise stuttering etc so the actual download speed required in total is proablaby even less.

Try downloading a 10gig file that will hit the absolute limit of your download speed, thats when you will see issues with the vr400 and multicast TV unless you implement priorties for data etc or your router can prioritise multicast.

I assume you havent configured IPTV or device priorities on the VR400?

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

You're right, but I just thought I'd try it to see if there were any issues popped up. I wouldn't normaly even be running these together anyway.