cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 15

Re: Av receiver issue

This cropped up the other day and reminded me of this thread @Midnight_Voice 

https://youtu.be/9-Ce7_jbMjo?si=OkEgF7jdY9TWdn0r

4 grand soundbar. (plus surround and subs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 15

@naylor2006 

Puts me in mind of my first ‘soundbar’ 😛 Set up on the evening of May 28th 1967.

It was actually one of my ‘speakers’ - being a tad impecunious in these days, my stereo speakers were repurposed radio cabinets with a big slab of chipboard on the front, and an 8” Wharfedale RS/DD bolted to each. Open back, as was one set of received wisdom at the time.

Coupling that to a TV, you took your life in your hands in those days; while the TV speaker might have been running off a few volts AC, you had no idea how far above ground it was floating DC. So a couple of capacitors in each lead (two for belt and braces in case one failed) to block the DC, and relatively safe to link to the RS/DD.

Good results, with sweeter treble, and much more ambiance, on a live broadcast. So a satisfactory first foray into eARC (extracted Alternating Residual Current), and I was hooked from then on.

I guess the Nakamichi might have sounded a bit better though…

(For extra credit; how come my recollection is so precise, and what broadcast was I enhancing?)

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 15

I'm going to assume that, as much as you took your life into your own hands....you didnt take your wallet into the same jeopardy 🙂

My entire audio setup doesnt cost 4K, in fact if you add it all up plus my TV it would still be a little shy of that.

I just dont get it, for 4K you could get yourself a low to midrange fully Atmos setup, who is this soundbar aimed at?!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 15

@naylor2006 

My turntable is a Linn, one down from their £18,000 model. Fortunately, one down when I bought it was £399 😛

The Nakamichi is a lifestyle choice; it’s so people who buy it can say they live in the house of the Dragon 😛

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber ***
Message 15 of 15

Well it would be pretty cool to be able to say that!

0 Ratings