cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT / EE TV quality of service ?

Hi all. I am going to change my TV service provider and seriously thinking of BT .I have a few questions. If I go for the package with the films add on, will all HD content / channels actually play in HD ?

A very long time ago I had BT vision which was the Humax DTR-t1000 box , this was for ever locking up , and took for ages to boot up from cold when it did lock up ! Has this been sorted with the latest boxes.

are the latest  boxes wi-fi or do they need Ethernet.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT / EE TV quality of service ?

Films are provided by Now. Their basic resolution is 720 through the app but I don't know if BT drop that to 576 through the EPG, as all their offering are SD by default. You would need to add a chargeable HD add-on to get HD, which would be limited to 1080. No Now content is available in 4k.

There's also a separate HD fee for Sport, with some apparently convoluted charging pattern that means you may or may not have to pay again. Others will hopefully clarify that it doesn't also depend on wind direction at the time of ordering.

The Pro Box is WiFi & largely reliable but the interface is a bit clunky & dated. It's only really useful as a recorder as smart TVs & streaming sticks have a wider range of apps.

But if you main interest isn't BT/TNT/EE Sport then you'll get a cheaper deal directly with Now

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the most useful information. Appreciated .
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The default Netflix package is HD not 4K 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@circuitbender 

BT Vision preceded, and was different from, the YouView DTR-T1000. Though there might have been a slight overlap, with both available, at first.

The T1000 did not have a good record for reliability - the capacitors would fail - though generally when they failed, that was it, unless you were handy with a soldering iron, so I don’t recall many mentions of a lock-up syndrome. Though no doubt there were some.

The T1000 was followed by the rather faster T2xxx and still faster T4000 boxes, and now by the Pro boxes, that can be run over Ethernet or WiFi, according to preference. The T1000 was kept up to date until 2016, but was then allowed to fall by the wayside in terms of updates, due to its hardware limitations.

But YouView and BT have only just finally pulled the plug on T1000s at the end of February, cutting them off from the internet. Though the ones that have survived this long will still operate to watch and record live TV even now, albeit complaining about their lack of internet connectivity at every turn.

My T1000 has survived all this time, 11 years plus, though it is my second, the first one having succumbed to BFIS (a sort of COVID for YouView boxes) about three weeks after the product launch.

Nowadays, you have the choice with EETV of the Pro box, a recording YouView box, or the EETV box, a jiggered Apple TV box that can’t record. Both offer Now, and other sports offerings, as linear channels in the EPG; this is the EETV USP.

The need for a recording capability is not what it was in 2012, though Now/Sky’s provision of Sports catchup is so patchy that I would want to record it from live, which only the Pro box can do.

Both boxes can now give you channels over IP, which is a consideration for those in Freeview Lite areas, or without a terrestrial TV aerial at all.

Other than that, you need to make a careful comparison between the offerings based around each box , and the above-mentioned option of buying Now direct from Now. This will produce useful cost savings, since if you start the cancellation of a service direct from Now, you will very likely get an automated retention offer; so you can actually get Now significantly below the sticker price.

It’s not so seamless doing it for yourself though; be prepared to forego the warm bath of EE support if you go that route 😛

But what does EETV actually cost? If like me, you don’t want to be spoon-fed various restricted takes on this, the item-by-item prices are available in this useful document, at pages 112-117:-

https://www.bt.com/content/dam/bt/storefront/pdfs/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
Message 6 of 11

@circuitbender  The standard prices of all of the EETV packages were increased on 1st March. I would anticipate that some or all of those packages will be on special offer at some point around the end of March or the beginning of April. Some of these offers are very attractive and sometimes undercut how much you would pay if you were to buy them direct, particularly if you are going for the larger bundles of channels. If you’re sure about what you want, it’s probably best to stick with that package for the duration of the contract if you manage to grab a special offer. If you swap your package you will lose any special offer price that you may have had and you then have to pay the current standard price.

Also, don’t assume that EETV will work in the same way that your current provider does. We’ve had a few on here who’ve come unstuck by doing that. If something’s a must have for you ASK if you’re not sure!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Just a point about getting EETV through the Apple TV streaming route. Honestly you may as well get Sky Stream. More HD channels as standard, and not that much dearer than EETV with the HD add on. You pays your money etc etc etc.

Message 8 of 11

The question really @circuitbender is “What do you really want from your TV service?”

For me, EE TV is only ever a contender if recording channels delivered via the internet is a must have for your personal situation, because that is its USP.

Not one that I suspect it will have forever either.

Dated UX, lack of apps, lack of functionality in apps it does have in comparison to other platforms, lack of voice search are just some of its problems compared to others.

A 2 year contract with built in annual CPI + 3.9% increases is a bit of a kicker as well, but at least they warn you about it before you sign up.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

The basic Netflix option is 720p with additional charges for full  HD (1080p) and 4k

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@Midnight_Voice 

Bit of history

e:

"BT Vision preceded, and was different from, the YouView DTR-T1000. Though there might have been a slight overlap, with both available, at first."

I believe BT launched Youview from BT , the BT Vision content was made available on the platform as one of the players. So BT subscribers of that period were being sold and promoted BT vision content on Youview. So you had various generations of BT Vision boxes (the hardware)   from 2006 onwards that the BT Vision service/product was available on and then you had the launch of the Youview from BT box (hardware DTR-T1000)  which had the BT Vision  content along with (Youview)  partners content.

an article from those days

https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btyouview.html

0 Ratings