cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

BT TV Box Pro 4k 1TB Freeview Youview Set Up Box - Maintenance Mode

BT TV Box Pro 4k 1TB Freeview Youview Set Up Box   Model  RTIW387

Hi,

I've just bought one of these, and the seller said it has ITVX, and on firing it up for the first time, there is to ITVX app.

I've gone into settings and done latest software upadtes & app updates.  I've also done a factory reset.

The seller has suggested I boot it into maintenance mode    "It's probably worth doing a Maintenance Mode reset to flush the software and have the box pull down the latest version."

1. Should I be able to get ITVX?

2.  If so, is the maintenance mode suggestion what I need to do.   I found some instructions that say to power it on while holding down remote button, then press power button, and maintenance mode should appear on the screen, but it just boots up normally.   Any suggestions plz

Tha nk you,

Neil

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: BT TV Box Pro 4k 1TB Freeview Youview Set Up Box - Maintenance Mode

@NL1-uk 

Congratulations Neil, you’re a receiver of stolen goods 😛 All these boxes are owned by EE, and ownership never passes to users of them.

Did the seller prove ownership to you when you bought it?

But to avoid legal complications, just say that you are the current keeper of this box, and that what you paid over was a recognition of the transfer of keepership. Might work….

You aren’t the first person to report the loss of itvX from one of these boxes, though. You could do a Maintenance Mode update:-

https://www.bt.com/help/tv/fix-a-problem/tv-boxes/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-tv-box-#:~:text=Press%20and%2....

but I would be inclined to return it to the seller for a refund on the grounds that it isn’t as described, and besides, it wasn’t theirs to sell in the first place.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Do you have an aerial  connected and have you successfully  turned in to ITV1  ?

Also during the  box setup process were  you prompted  to input your postcode.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Hello zulu17. .  thank you very much for your response

To answer your questions:

1.  No.   From you're question , I'm assuming that's necessary first.  (I don't have an aerial, but setting up the box for my mum, who does)  So if I do the setup with aerial, are there further steps to obtain ITVX?

2.  No, there was no prompt   (maybe  because of the above(?)

Message 5 of 17

@NL1-uk  doing the setup with a working aerial connected should mean the ITV X app is loaded. 

ITV do require people to register for ITV X and i think require a postcode entry It is a while since I went through the setup process so can't recall the precise order. The ITV support website can be used for registering.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Thank you zulu17 I will give it a go once I can connect an aerial
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

@NL1-uk 

If you don't have an aerial then assuming that as you bought the box from a third party then you don't have a BT/EE TV subscription how do you expect the box to work?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

@TimCurtis @NL1-uk 

He’s doing it for his Mum.

He will need to complete, and probably redo, the setup at her address.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

@Midnight_Voice @NL1-uk 

Ooops , missed that bit.

Message 10 of 17

Thank you.  My understanding is that a Freeview box has an aerial input for terrestrial TV. . . which is free.  Some also have streaming apps installed, or install-able , which require an internet connection which I have, and possibly subscriptions to streaming services like Amazon video, Netflix, etc..  and access to free streaming services like BBC iPlayer and itvx and Channel 4 etc.    I can access all these via my broadband connection on a tablet or my phone or a computer.  What do I need this subscription for. I don't understand how having an aerial connected and tuning to ITV is going to install an app ie.  iitvx on the box itself. my question was asking how do I get into this maintenance mode that I've been told about, and if I can't get into that and install itvx then this box is useless to me and it has to go back. are we saying it cannot be used outside of a EE subscription?  by the way the other apps work fine on it.

0 Ratings