cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT TV Box Pro 4k 1TB Freeview Youview Set Up Box - Maintenance Mode

thank you I will try it somewhere where I can get a connection to an aerial but I don't really see how tuning into ITV is going to make an app install on the box itself, . . .unless I'm missing something.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 17

@Midnight_Voice LOL CEX must be doing a naughty, as they have been selling the Pro Box since it launched .

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 17

I believe. When in aerial mode at setup which PSB channel (ITV1/STV)  you receive from your Freeview transmitter determines where the STV or  ITV X player is ordered in theYouview  Box app lists (also certain ITV programmes are not available on ITV X  if you are deemed to be in an STV region as the STV app would have them).

In Ip mode different criteria are used during setup which from a recent thread suggests would use the address of the (BT/EE)  account to identify location. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 17

@nickmorc 

I know 😛

(Not that I’ve got one)

Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber
Message 15 of 17

@NL1-uk 

YouView boxes can’t call themselves Freeview boxes, because they don’t, and wouldn’t, meet the Freeview specification for certification.

But yes, the broadcast channels they tune in are all the Freeview ones, and they also load some, but not all, of the internet-delivered Freeview channels. If you have a BT/EE TV subscription, then a YouView box (any YouView box) will load additional, internet-delivered, channels courtesy of EE. If your mother has her internet with BT, even though not being an EE TV subscriber, these channels will appear in the EPG, but won’t be accessible.

YouView boxes have always had an interlock between the tuning of the terrestrial channels and their associated apps; the app versions on YouView interrogate the broadcast tunings to determine your region, so they know what adverts to show you, and will politely decline to work if the broadcast channels aren’t tuned in.

Decline to work, but not decline to appear, as far as I knew; I’m as surprised as anybody that itvX doesn’t appear in the apps on the box at present, but then you have Factory Reset it and not retuned it afterwards. And itvX is a bit of a law unto itself ever since it stopped being itv Hub. So we can’t say that itvX won’t magically reappear when you finally do tune in the broadcast channels.

And you say all the other apps on the box work fine, but have you tried Channel Four and My5? I would expect these two to knock you back, until their respective broadcast channels are tuned in.

But no, you don’t need an EE TV subscription to use the Freeview side of this box. And you don’t need Maintenance Mode,  because Factory Reset is Maintenance Mode 5, the most drastic MM  you can do, and you have already done it.

Further, I am betting that the itvX app is present and installed; it is probably just declining to appear. Tune the broadcast channels, and it will likely pop up.

And lastly, how far away from your Mum do you live? Even if you tune the box now, you will have to retune it when you install it for her, if she is not on the exact same TV transmitter as you.

[Note] This posting deliberately does not cover IP Mode on the Pro box, as this is only applicable to EE TV subscribers. 

Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 17

Thank you so much @zulu17 @Midnight_Voice  for your comprehensive & constructive advice.

I don't live very close to where this is to be used, so I can't just pop round to try it, but what you say about needing to set it up in-situ makes perfect sense.

I am hopefully going to be able to try it this weekend.

my5 works ok  (after visiting my5.tv/activate and entering code displayed on TV)

channel4   Hadn't noticed before but there is no visible App -  perhaps this will appear after tuning, as per ITVX   (I hope)

Thanks again for the explanation -  much appreciated.

Neil

Message 17 of 17

Thanks. . that's most helpful.
0 Ratings