cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT TV picture breaking up since full fibre install

I have BT TV connected via a cable that runs from the router around the outside of the house & into the lounge.
It then connects via a Netgear 4 port hub to the bttv pro box.  I'm not sure if it's cat5 or cat5e
There have been no issues at all with it.

I've now had full fibre installed & the picture pixelates quite often. The Sky Sports HD channels are unwatchable.

Connecting via wifi works most of the time but the picture does freeze every so often.

A cable run from the router directly to the BTTV box works fine but isn't a practicable solution due to the route it takes through the house.

Is this a case of just needing to change the cable that runs outside to ensure it's cat5e or could it be something else?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT TV picture breaking up since full fibre install

if works OK when hub connected direct to BTTV have you tried existing cable but miss out the netgear switch

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Sorry, forgot to mention I’ve tried it directly into the bttv box & it made no difference.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

have you tried a different cable from netgear to BTTV to see if that works just trying to make sure the common link is the old outside cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I’ve just tried a different cable from netview to bttv - same issue
The big long internal cable to netgear to bttv works fine

It’s all pointing to the external cable.
I just don’t understand why it’s not coping with full fibre
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

What length is the outside cable?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

It's about a 15m run
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Having had a lot of picture freezes through wifi over the last couple of days I've revisited the cabling

It's now wired Hub to Netgear to 15m run outside to BT Pro box, rather than Hub - 15m run - Netgear - Pro Box or Hub - 15 m run - BT Pro box

And this appears stable, which seems to point to the hub connection as the issue.
0 Ratings