cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Can i remove my hard drive and reinsert it without losing my recordings? (Youview)

Basically i want to transfer all my SD recordings from my Youview to my PC using an external hard drive bay (or well at least try) As i know you can transfer SD recordings, not HD though. My box is full and i need to make space whilst archiving the many shows i've recorded and don't want to have to start deleting stuff. 

My worry is once i do this then reinsert the hard drive inside the box that it will format it, and make me lose everything. Just need some reassurance?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can i remove my hard drive and reinsert it without losing my recordings? (Youview)

@Robert89 

The box will recognise the drive as its own, and not attempt to reformat it.

But ensure it isn’t written to when it’s out - don’t delete the SD material until the drive is back in the YouView box, and you can do it with the standard YouView tools.

Also, if I remember correctly, it’s a Linux drive that Windows can’t read, so you may need to boot your PC from a Linux distro, if it isn’t already dual boot, and work on it there.

*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber ***
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: Can i remove my hard drive and reinsert it without losing my recordings? (Youview)

This software allows Windows operating systems to read, (and write to), Linux file systems:

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#

I think you still get a fully functioning 10 day trial before registering.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The HDD includes XFS partitions and therefore that  paragon software can only read it.
That in theory should be OK for what is intended but it may be less hassle to use Midnight_Voice's suggestion of a a Linux distro.

According to the paragon website after 10 days of not using it without a licence: "the speed will be reduced until you activate a purchased license".

@Robert89 
If you do use the paragon software please would you post back if it was hassle free.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Lսkе 

"it may be less hassle to use Midnight_Voice's suggestion of a a Linux distro."

Quite possibly.

Linux (Mint) is my OS of choice anyway - I only have a Windows installation in a plug-in USB drive for those few things that I just can't get Linux to do. This has the Paragon software on it.

EDIT: @Robert89 

If you do boot your PC into a live Linux distro, be very careful not to click the "Install" icon - unless you decide that you want to actually install it!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

The box will recognise the drive as its own, and not attempt to reformat it.

But ensure it isn’t written to when it’s out - don’t delete the SD material until the drive is back in the YouView box, and you can do it with the standard YouView tools.

Also, if I remember correctly, it’s a Linux drive that Windows can’t read, so you may need to boot your PC from a Linux distro, if it isn’t already dual boot, and work on it there.

@Midnight_Voice Thank you. I've got all the SD recordings off it now and everything is still there when i put it back in the box.

This software allows Windows operating systems to read, (and write to), Linux file systems:

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#

I think you still get a fully functioning 10 day trial before registering.

@Paul608085 Thanks, you're a life saver!

The HDD includes XFS partitions and therefore that  paragon software can only read it.
That in theory should be OK for what is intended but it may be less hassle to use Midnight_Voice's suggestion of a a Linux distro.

According to the paragon website after 10 days of not using it without a licence: "the speed will be reduced until you activate a purchased license".

@Robert89 
If you do use the paragon software please would you post back if it was hassle free after all.

@Lսkе The software was very straight forward to use. It automatically reads any Linux compatible drives you connect to your computer, then you just copy and paste all the files over. It took a few hours, but then there was a LOT of recordings. 

I'm glad you don't need a licence after the 10 days, i can compromise with speed!

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@Robert89 

Glad you got it sorted.

"I'm glad you don't need a licence after the 10 days, i can compromise with speed!"

After the 10 days it really does slow right down.

I registered my copy many years ago, but ISTR that after 10 days the spped is down to double digits kilobits/second!

Depending upon how often you are going to be using the software, I don't know if uninstalling and re-installing it will reset the 10 days?

Of course, you could make Linux your main PC operating system 😉

0 Ratings