cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Cancel tv essentials off my package without paying £195.00

I renewed my bt contract in september 2022.  Broadband, landline, tv with sport add on and mobile phone .

But due to rising bills i cancelled the sport add on in nov/ dec…no problem. 
now i want to cancel my tv essentials as it is £10.00 a month. I tried to do this a few minutes ago, but was told as the contract is until sept 2024, i would have to pay to pay £195.00?? to cancel this part of my package

was also told i need to give 30 days notice nearer to sept??? But if my contract is finishing then why would i need 30 days notice?

i was asked if i was on benefits. Which i am not.. is there anyway i can give 30days notice now and not pay the £195 fee???

in September when i renewed contract i wasnt aware of all the rising costs of energy and food.

need a little advice please 

thanks michelle 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cancel tv essentials off my package without paying £195.00

@Mich2wrote:

I renewed my bt contract in september 2022.  Broadband, landline, tv with sport add on and mobile phone

You agreed to a new minimum term with discounts, in exchange of keeping the products/services for a set period, this is why if you try to cancel you're presented with early termination fees, by your own admission the fees would be correctly applied.

@Mich2wrote:

But due to rising bills i cancelled the sport add on in nov/ dec…no problem.

Addons can be removed, you have Essential as the main package with BT Sports as an optional addon, you've since removed that as you're free to do.

@Mich2wrote:

i would have to pay to pay £195.00?? to cancel this part of my package

Sounds about right, for more info see www.bt.com/earlytermination

@Mich2wrote:

was also told i need to give 30 days notice nearer to sept??? But if my contract is finishing then why would i need 30 days notice?

BT will supply you with services until you ask them to stop, as part of the terms you agreed this means giving 30 days notice, the service doesn't stop when the minimum term ends, it's 30 days notice regardless of any minimum term.

@Mich2wrote:

is there anyway i can give 30days notice now and not pay the £195 fee???

No, you agreed the contract and to break it means paying BT an early termination fee.

@Mich2wrote:

in September when i renewed contract i wasnt aware of all the rising costs of energy and food.

It's been all over the news and we've all felt it, costs have been rising since around March 2022.

@Mich2wrote:

need a little advice please 

The BT community forum isn't the best place for financial advice, try starting with https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
You agreed to the contract you're in, you might be able to make savings elsewhere to help.

0 Ratings