cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Failure of Pro box to record BTCC

Go to solution

On two occasions in last month my box has failed to record on ITV4 the BTCC motor racing. There is ample space on the box and all other scheduled programmes have recorded.

Fortunately this time I recorded from Freesat onto an old HDD (just in case!) in fact in HD it was a much better picture. But why will it not record on my box? The hepful comment on the EE ‘record’ list was ‘failed to record with no explanation.’

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Failure of Pro box to record BTCC

Go to solution

Probably nothing @RodT .

The Pro Box does miss recordings, or cut them short (especially sport) and BT/EE usually blame the content provider (itv) who are responsible for sending the correct signal to start and end recording. 

I would get a new Freesat HDD if I was you!

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | EE TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The suggestion that an error/reason code for recordings not occurring was made very early in the Youview  product life. Youview opted not implement that suggestion. This was particularly surprising as Humax who supplied the early retail boxes and the first two generations of BT Youview boxes did provide simple but fairly clear explanations for issues with  Freeview recordings on their own brand PVRs. 

So what could be a straightforward reason for a recording failing cannot be determined from available messaging.  

So only observations

the live BTCC coverage can be over six hours  and does at least seem to be available in itv x ondemand.

Looking at ITV 4 schedules there seems to typically be  a filler of short highlight programming from about 11am before the live programming starts ten or 15 minutes later. I wonder whether there are issues around this filler programming data/broadcast signals causing an issue with the following live program you have set to record. Were that to be the case I would expect other people using the same platform  and mode  to also experience similar issues if attempting to record that programme,

what you could do is next time set the recording and monitor via the EETV on a paired mobile device whether the recording starts as expected and possibly reschedule a recording from the app if the (scheduled recording) doesn’t start.

I would also be inclined  to record that 10/15 minute  filler programme  that proceeds the live coverage to see that the channel is recording  as expected  prior to the lice BTCC  event.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Or maybe get a Fire stick!!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@RodT 

Yes, that solves the problem admirably by not recording at all 😛

Something you may also be able to emulate, keeping things in the EE TV fold, with a Box Mini…..

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

For what it’s worth my BT Pro box recorded it all yesterday without any problem. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@zulu17 wrote:

The suggestion that an error/reason code for recordings not occurring was made very early in the Youview  product life. Youview opted not implement that suggestion. This was particularly surprising as Humax who supplied the early retail boxes and the first two generations of BT Youview boxes did provide simple but fairly clear explanations for issues with  Freeview recordings on their own brand PVRs. 

So what could be a straightforward reason for a recording failing cannot be determined from available messaging.  

Worth noting that there is an error code associated with failed recordings, and we show the associated message in the EE TV app if you've paired it with your TV Box.  It's not always helpful (there are 17 different error codes - some quite obscure), and doesn't show anything if the recording failed to even be scheduled.

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@DarrenDev @zulu17 

17 - how serendipitous!

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings