cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: If my service is not as expected

Getting only six channels through the wall socket is reminiscent of old hotel TV distribution systems.  I am wondering if the landlord has installed something like that?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

@Midnight_Voice 

"No DC on the aerial connections of my DTR-T4000, certainly."

Did you measure with a multimeter or look in the box's Settings menu? All of the devices that I have seen this feature on, have it switchable in the user settings.

For example, in our, (non-Youview), Humax HDR-Fox-T2, it is under Settings > Installation > Antenna Power

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

@Paul608085 

Multimeter.

There is no such setting on any YouView box, unless it has been added on the Pro box, which I seriously doubt.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Just plugged the aerial from the wall directly into the TV and scanned. Picks up nearly every channel apart from BBC channels?

Why does the BT pro box not pick up these channels?  So weird.

Obviously the aerial is partly working apart from the BBC channels. Any ideas why this is?

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

@LondonCelt 

It could be that you actually have too much signal coming from the aerial!

Earlier, (Humax), Youview boxes were well known for being liable to overloading.

You could try an aerial attenuator - they are available from places like B&Q and Screwfix etc.

Try to get a variable one if you can.

***EDIT*** The attenuator goes on the aerial input of the Youview box.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Thank you. Will get one and see if it works 

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

@LondonCelt 

Before laying out on an attenuator (though it is only a few quid), find out if your TV offers signal quality and strength information, and see what that says for some of the channels you are getting.

You might want to try that for the six that the YouView box gets as well.

And report back on both…

The logic is that TVs have generally more sensitive tuners than YouView boxes do, so your observations suggest weak channels, not over-strong ones.

And it’s very odd that you get no BBC channels; but back in the day, the spec of the aerial needed in many London locations changed. Makes me wonder just exactly how long your aerial has been chained up in the attic; maybe it’s the old type, never changed.

By the way, you never said if this is ‘your’ aerial, or a shared one. That makes a difference to your options for resolving this.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings