cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 47

Re: TV aerial to watch freeview ?

I'm on dodgy ground giving away information before this is released - I only confirmed the feature as the sales team have told so many already. Best I keep quiet now. 😀
Message 32 of 47

@gomezzwrote:

If and when the box detects a poor Freeview signal and switches to the multicast stream I assume it will stick with that from then on until the user changes channel?

What are the implications for recordings if the source switches part way through?

I'd imagine it won't be a choice of source it'll be one or the other in the settings

Message 33 of 47

Wow!

So if I'm reading it right then the list of channels on the previous page will be delivered via a streaming service and not an aerial?

This is a game changer for BT, with ITVX coming and the tie up with Discovery then BT will be competition for Sky.

Gosh we may get Paramount + and Apple TV+ too 🤔

Message 34 of 47

My reading of it is that the channels will be available via IP as a fall back if local reception is a problem.

Discovery+ is already in a 12-month free deal with Sky - and Paramount+ has already said it will be available free to Sky Cinema customers.

BT will be an alternate to Sky but I don't see it being competition.

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

Wow!

So if I'm reading it right then the list of channels on the previous page will be delivered via a streaming service and not an aerial?

This is a game changer for BT, with ITVX coming and the tie up with Discovery then BT will be competition for Sky.

Gosh we may get Paramount + and Apple TV+ too 🤔

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 35 of 47

@ozsat 

Yeah aware of Sky just dumped Q a month ago.

I'm interested to see all ITV & 5 channels listed as HD, these are additional not fallback as they are currently not available over the air or via ITV Hub or My5 on BT.

Paramount+ is 'free' or actually built into the Sky Cinema subscription. From what I've read Paramount+ will be an addon subscription via NOW, so we should get it via BT anyway via that app, hopefully it will be built into search and Watchlist on BT just like all the other Now offerings.

Always a waiting game 😏

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 47

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

...then BT will be competition for Sky.

It won't, but then that isn't the point. 

It's about targeting a specific demographic and positioning BT as a good value, flexible TV service that offers a bit more than Freeview and a bit less than Sky. 

It's about making it a more attractive quad play provider, enabling more sales of broadband, digital voice and mobile contracts.

Lastly, it is also laying the ground work for the inevitable shift of linear broadcast TV from aerials (and satellites), to full IP delivery when we all have capable FTTH connections. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 37 of 47

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

I'm interested to see all ITV & 5 channels listed as HD, these are additional not fallback as they are currently not available over the air or via ITV Hub or My5 on BT.

The option for IP channels to broadcast in HD if the operator chose was in the Freeview consultation I linked to in other threads.

It's here for reference: https://www.freeview.co.uk/consultation-changes-lcn-policy-prominence-ip-delivery 

It's not clear yet if BT have agreed to have these channels in HD as standard or if they are just piggybacking off a decision by ITV or Channel 5 based on the Freeview changes. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 38 of 47

I read it that those BBC and ITV regions will be offered in those areas - not to all areas.  Same as Sky Glass currently provides those IP channels.

So in South - Sky's IP service provides BBC1 South HD and ITV Meridian East HD - but no others unless you re-register to a different region.

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

@ozsat 

Yeah aware of Sky just dumped Q a month ago.

Paramount+ is 'free' or actually built into the Sky Cinema subscription. From what I've read Paramount+ will be an addon subscription via NOW, so we should get it via BT anyway via that app, hopefully it will be built into search and Watchlist on BT just like all the other Now offerings.

Always a waiting game 😏

Message 39 of 47

@ozsat 

No I meant ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, 5STAR HD etc. As these are currently broadcast SD only.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 47

They are SD on Freeview/Youview - but already HD on Sky's IP service.

@PJCORNELLYwrote:

@ozsat 

No I meant ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, 5STAR HD etc. As these are currently broadcast SD only.

0 Ratings