cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: TV in Kitchen

@zulu17  @DarrenDev @-Richie- 

I am now sorry I mentioned EE TV, if indeed I did 😢

The interesting question I tried to answer was making two distance-separated TVs show the same YouView output in a world where you can’t mirror Pro boxes on Mini boxes.

I am still waiting to hear if this was actually the question that @quarkrad asked, or if I misunderstood?

Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, but never a BT TV subscriber
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

@Midnight_Voicewrote:

I am still waiting to hear if this was actually the question that @quarkrad asked, or if I misunderstood?

My understanding was the OP wanted to watch TV in the kitchen, which is why I promoted app usage on a smart tv, there are alternatives such as a Firestick or chromecast.

To view NowTV content if subscribed, use the login details as part of the EETV subscription.
To view Netflix which is bundled with EETV packages, install the Netflix app and login
To view TNT Sports or Discovery content, login with the credentials used when activating

All of which are included free if you have the main subscription with EETV, for example the Full Works includes all of the above.

@Midnight_Voice  I believe you have another question or unrelated, you're best off starting your own thread to avoid any confusion 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Hi @-Richie- 

It’s well worth rereading the original question, both for the bit about ‘open lounge/kitchen area’, from which I assumed these two TVs would likely both be in earshot of anybody present, and for the bit about ‘connecting the second TV to his BT TV box’.

So I think my answer was bang on topic if I have interpreted @quarkrad ‘s query correctly, and my ancillary question (“Have I?”) is also bang on topic.

You have answered the question of exactly how much of the EE TV material you can watch on a second TV; very useful to know, but not the answer to the question I thought was being asked.

Perhaps the issue of who should be starting a separate thread, if one were needed, is not so clear-cut 🤔

Message 14 of 22

If the intention is to relay whatever is on the main TV in the lounge to a second TV in the kitchen then perhaps a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver system will do the job such as this one

Wireless-Transmitter-Streaming-Projector-HDMI-TX-RX-Mini-Adapter on Amazon

This assumes the programme originates from an external device such as a Youview box and may also need an HDMI splitter unless already using an AV receiver that can feed two TV sets.  I am also thinking that there may still be an echoey delay on the audio so muting the kitchen TV audio and turning up the main audio so it can be heard "round the corner" in the kitchen area is the thing to do.

I have no personal experience of using such a set up so further research is needed by the OP to determine if this fits their bill.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

@quarkrad 

This is a fine example of why "asking for a friend" isn't a great idea, as the person asking the question generally doesn't know the whole story & can't answer specific queries. So like this thread, multiple suggestions are put forward while speculating what's actually required. It would be best for your son to sign up & join in.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

At least the solutions offered may be of some use to others who may be looking for answers to the same or similar situation.  Having a discussion around the pros and cons of each solution is no bad thing.

Message 17 of 22

@gomezz 

Glad you agree pretty much exactly with my first reply in this thread, above.

But you may get in trouble for the Amazon link, which I was warned was a big no-no when I did it one time 😢

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

@gomezz @quarkrad @rbz5416 @-Richie- @zulu17 

The one solution that hasn’t been put forward if simultaneity is not actually needed is to add a Mini box for the TV in the kitchen. That seems to me altogether the simplest alternative in that case.

But of course, it presupposes this BT TV box is backed by a BT (now EE) TV subscription (as indeed do all the suggestions referencing EE TV), and we don’t know if that is the case either.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Sorry - been away.  Thank you all for your replies.  Both TV's are too close together to have both on at the same time with any sort of volume.  The scenarios I was thinking of, and apologies for not detailing, were:

1.  Main TV not switched on.  Kitchen TV on wall switched on and son wanting to watch football

2. Both TVs on but sound off on kitchen TV (son could watch football but listen via radio - assuming radio is transmitting same match).

My understanding now, having done a bit more reading, is that one scenario is to have a 2nd wifi connected streaming box connected to the 2nd TV with the quoted limitations (e.g. possible bandwidth restrictions, etc).  

The other scenario I'm not sure about (not if it is even possible), is to have one subscription to the main TV only.  (Is there a similar mobile phone app as Sky Go for EE TV?  If there was he could potentially watch all his subscribed channels on his phone rather than his TV).  If this is possible then, for those occasions he wanted to watch football in the kitchen, he could have it playing on his mobile and Chromcast it to his TV.*

* Accept there is still the sound/volume issue if he wanted two TV playing at the same time (I don't think he will).

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

So @-Richie-  nailed it post #3.

No streaming boxes, splitters, transmitters or Chromcast required. Just buy a smart TV with Now & Discovery+ apps & he can watch football directly on the TV through it's apps.

It's highly unlikely that a radio stream would match with the action due to various delays. But get a TV that also supports bluetooth & he can pair head/earphones to it for listening when the main TV is on.