cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

TV reception!

Hello.  we're new to BT FF and TV package, and until two days ago were happy with TV reception etc.  THEN we got very bad pixilation, noticeably of "Quest" channel which I watch a lot!!

I've looked at on-screen info and re-tuned several times but have now lost quite a number of channels....???

I found that removing the TV aerial from the BT box and plugging into the TV direct gives me back "perfect" Quest....  no interference..   Yet as I say pixilation via the box.

Can anyone offer any assist?    

I have no idea why TV packages include terrestrial TV, yet you get them via your aerial and don't need the box/package anyway...

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: TV reception!

Update/addendum. Re-scanning produces 133 and 119; we used to get 148? and have lost stuff like Quest....
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

The BT TV boxes can be very sensitive to a signal that is too weak or too strong. Check the signal strength and quality on one of your channels because you may need an attenuator. These are freely available for under £10

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

Thanks Nigel, I'll have a look around the site to see how easy it is to order said kit!

Perhaps if this is the case, then attenuators should be built into the boxes??

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

Nigel.

Looked all over this site, then searched "Attenuator". all to no avail.
Please tell me where I can source

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

Any ideas as to why re-tuning would loose channels.....
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

If the signal is too strong, it can be just as bad as a weak signal. Both of which can lose channels on a retune.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

So an attenuator can lower a strong signal, but doesn't increase in the case of a weak signal, and I've no idea which I've got, except the fact that until a few days ago, everything was fine, only very sporadic pixilation.

Wouldn't the re-tune show all channels, but prevent actually watching some in clear view?

I'm still lost as to a solution.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

As @NigelB72  has said, the signal level is quite critical as unlike a TV, there is not automatic level control. Too much signal and the decoder cannot detect the change between a digital level 1, and zero, so the decoding results in lots of errors.

Try.

Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator. £3.99 on Amazon, but may be cheaper elsewhere.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1655403949770.jpeg

Variable Attenuator

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Hi Keith

Thanks for the input.
I'll source said kit, and report back, if these messages stay around.

BTW: Anyone:-     another query, I never get a "chat" window in my BT log on page????

Thanks again to Nigel as well..

0 Ratings