cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

There is no option to connect bt TV pro to wifi

Hi, I received my but TV pro box and I followed the set up instructions but it does not display an option to connect to my BT hub via WiFi. I do not want to connect via ethernet.

I have tried:

Switching off and on again.

Switching the hub off and on again

There is no re set button on the TV box

Thanks

C

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: There is no option to connect bt TV pro to wifi

@Christy2 

It's possible that it needs a software update first as the wifi function was only released end Sept and seems that your box doesn't have it yet. So connect by cable first & then you hopefully will be OK.

Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the answer. In the box the instructions say that will get the option during installation. I don't have a TV near my broadband box so wire connection not feasible .. hence why I went for an option that said it could work wirelessly. Is there any way to force a reset or  something that will make it offer the options that are supposed to be there? 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

The Pro Box here needed a software update to see the WiFi option - if your box needs the update you'll need to connect it to Ethernet to get the update or even install it.

@Peterryanhomewrote:

Thanks for the answer. In the box the instructions say that will get the option during installation. I don't have a TV near my broadband box so wire connection not feasible .. hence why I went for an option that said it could work wirelessly. Is there any way to force a reset or  something that will make it offer the options that are supposed to be there? 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 5 of 21

Thanks will try to find a way to do that . Would be great though if what was shipped matched the marketing description and the instructions in the box 🤷‍♂️

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Also bear in mind that the wireless connection is 5GHz only, so you will still need the BT TV box fairly close to the home hub anyway, as 5GHz wireless does not go very far.

You can temporarily run a long Ethernet cable from the home hub to the BT TV box, until the firmware update is downloaded and installed.

Message 7 of 21

@Christy2 

As above, pick up a long ethernet cable from Ebay for a temporary connection, they're dirt cheap. Although the aerial in the box seems hopelessly inadequate. I have numerous devices connected to 5GHz around the TV but the BT box can't even see my router, never mind connect to it.

Do others find the same?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

I run the BT Hub in 2GHz mode only - the Box Pro would not connect to it when it was in 5GHz mode.

@rbz5416wrote:

@Christy2 

As above, pick up a long ethernet cable from Ebay for a temporary connection, they're dirt cheap. Although the aerial in the box seems hopelessly inadequate. I have numerous devices connected to 5GHz around the TV but the BT box can't even see my router, never mind connect to it.

Do others find the same?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

@ozsat
Are you saying that you're box is connected by 2.4GHz? A post above & a sticky at the top of this section say it's 5GHz only. It also says it will only connect to a BT Smart Hub/2. I run a Fritz but the Pro Box can see my neighbour's TalkTalk router.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Sorry - just rechecked my notes. I'm connected to 5GHz but I had to change the name of the 5GHz band to be different to the 2.4GHz band for devices to connect correctly. I use a Hub 6.

I think it will only connect to 5GHz and I initially only used 2.4GHz as I have my own router in 5GHz.

@rbz5416wrote:
@ozsat
Are you saying that you're box is connected by 2.4GHz? A post above & a sticky at the top of this section say it's 5GHz only. It also says it will only connect to a BT Smart Hub/2. I run a Fritz but the Pro Box can see my neighbour's TalkTalk router.