cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Using Remote for volume in Surround Sound mode

Hi all.

I have the new BT EE TV Box Pro which is pretty nice to be honest but it does seem to lack some real CEC support.

It is connected to my AV Receiver which handles all my gear and it takes the DD+ signal from the EE Box and presents it, all good. But to get surround sound you need to select HDMI output to surround sound but then this fully disables the volume control on the remote. Generally for my other devices the associated remotes will still volume control the amp.

Its not a huge deal for me but I thought I would check in case ive done something wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Using Remote for volume in Surround Sound mode

@naylor2006 You're not doing anything wrong. This is a known issue. The volume control just doesn't work in surround sound mode. In stereo mode, I think it might actually be driven by the output levels from the box, rather than using HDMI CEC to control your TV or AV Receiver. 
I've used a Logitech remote and hub now for years, so that I can configure how the controls work, depending on which devices are in use. There are a number of similar ones on the market today, as sadly Logitech discontinued their product. Means you can have one remote intelligently running everything.

Message 3 of 31

Yeah I used to have a OneForAll Remote which was great. The volume controls could always be isolated to the amp no matter what device you were using. It’s probably lying around somewhere, maybe I could get it working if it supports this box.

I’ve not had a tv box in ages and just had Apple TV so the Apple Remote has proper integrating with everything.

You’re right, stereo mode the volume controls the box output itself. So if you didn’t have an amp and the box went direct into a TV you’d have to turn the box up and the separately? Or does it control some TV’s?

Does seem a little strange as these boxes are quite new I think, I’d have expected it to have the volume support or even IR.

Oh well thanks for confirming.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 4 of 31

can bt/ee not fix this every other device just works with an av receiver

Message 5 of 31

Considering the box is advertised as having all the fancy Dolby Sound along with UHD channels, you’ve expect it to be part of its design to work with the equipment which will get the best out of it.

Message 6 of 31

@naylor2006 i was trying to remember when I had a BT TV mini box whether it was driving the soundbar on my bedroom setup (simpler config!), But I can't remember.

You should have no issues on the One4all as it will work as either a BT TV box or just generic Youview.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

@naylor2006 I'd agree. Although HDMI CEC isn't always a bed of roses... Having said that, even my Apple TV boxes all happily play nicely using that!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

and why is the volume so low i have to turn the receiver past 50 when apple tv sits about 35 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

Time to find it then!

I put it away when I sent the Virgin TIVO box back ages ago, we were just having their internet on a rolling basis waiting for FTTP to be installed, that’s a long story but I was using the OneForAll and Virgin for years with a few different amps.

Not entirely sure where I put it now 😕

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

On my Denon I have the Dynamic Volume switched on with the reference EQ which I guess for me hides that issue a little bit for me. I certainly noticed it before, I always use dynamic volume because in films it makes it a far more enjoyable experience, when dialogue is super quiet and surround so loud.

On the light setting it does enough without sucking the life out of the sound.

I digress, sorry.

0 Ratings