cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 24

Re: We're making some changes to BBC recordings

@Midnight_Voicewrote:

I think we’ve also found a flaw in Freely lately. Their literature can be interpreted to say that ‘hybrid mode’ is a mode where the full Freeview channels array can be obtained by tuning in broadcast Freeview to fill in the entries missing when the channel isn’t available in IP Mode; but actually, if you tune in broadcast mode, you get all, and only, broadcast channels, and nothing from IP Mode.

And hybrid mode, as this is called, is hybrid only in the sense that the EPG channels are  broadcast, but the player apps come over the internet. i.e. like any smart TV, or YouView box in broadcast mode.

Perhaps EE TV might like to beat Freely to the punch by offering a true hybrid mode on the Box Pro, with the gaps in the IP Mode channel array being filled in from OTA broadcast?

Actually not quite correct, I have a Hisense Freely TV. In hybrid mode all BBC / ITV/ CH4 / CH5 sister channels are all streamed in HD. But there is one oddity in that the aerial HD channels take priority over the streamed HD channels. This has led to the ITV macro region HD channel overriding the streamed HD ITV local channel. In effect, here in the West Country, we're lumped with ITV West Country in SD on LCN 3 and ITV Central West in HD on LCN 61. There isn't a way to swap out the SD ITV regional channel for the HD streaming version. So it's either streaming only to get ITV West Country HD and lose channels, or put up with the SD version to get the full list of Freely channels. Life is never simple is it?

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 24

@Hunter2660 

Thanks - please excuse me while I struggle to get my head round this. Firstly, I’m South, so I don’t get the same itv channels as you.

But sister channels? So itv2, on LCN 6, is HD for you in IP Mode, and stays HD in Hybrid Mode? So the poster on AV Forums who thinks the aerial channels completely override the IP channels when you tune with the aerial, is wrong, and this could be demonstrated by having them look at this channel?

But the reason they think everything is being overridden is that they are experiencing what you describe, HD aerial channels overriding HD IP channels?

I don’t get anything on LCN 61, from the Rowridge transmitter; this LCN is just missing. But what do you see on 61, on a normal Freeview TV, on your Freely TV in IP Mode, and on your Freely TV in Hybrid Mode (I think you answered this last of the three options).

Also be interesting to know what the Box Pro serves up on LCNs 3 and 61 in IP and Aerial Mode.

Earlier posts on this Community have highlighted how tricky it can be for the algorithm behind IP Mode to serve up exactly correct regional alternatives, but I didn’t see anything like the issue you describe on Freely; though of course, EE TV doesn’t attempt Hybrid Mode.

Here’s the start of this part of the discussion on AV Forums; you might want to contribute, or at least have a look:-

https://www.avforums.com/posts/32500049/

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 24

@Midnight_Voice 

That's an interesting thread, thanks for that. Actually the Freely EPG is different to Freeview, TV Guide | Freely so will not match EETV's channel list.

All ITV, CH4, CH5 channels are streamed in HD, apart from the broadcast HD channels which get priority over the streamed channels. BBC News, Parliament is also streamed in HD along with all other BBC regions, and S4C. The one anomaly is ITV's HD macro regions, which will only affect those receiving the incorrect HD region to begin with. Of course this could be sorted if ITV actually sort out their HD regions correctly as the BBC already have.

What is interesting reading the thread, and something I never considered, is rescanning without the aerial to populate the streamed channels, then manually scanning with the aerial in, avoiding the HD mux, and see if it will leave the HD streamed channels intact. Hmmm, job for the weekend maybe.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 24

@Hunter2660 

Worth a try, but if I read it correctly, it puts all the manually tune channels on LCNs from 800 up, so not ideal.

—————————————————————————————————————
*** Longtime YouView box owner, BT Broadband customer, finally an EE TV subscriber, but with a few issues still to be ironed out ***
0 Ratings