cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

2 step authentication and app password

I have a customer with a BTInternet address that was recently hacked, and so after clearing up her account I advised her to turn on 2 step authentication.

After doing this, I found that she uses Outlook to get her email, so I went looking for a way to set up an app password to allow her to continue doing this.

I have found no way to do it, and no references online to such a task except one from last year which has steps that do not match what I see in the MyBT dashboard at all.

Is it possible to set an app password for a btinternet address, and if so, how do you do it? If not, does that therefore mean there is no way to use Outlook for BTInternet email if 2 step authentication is turned on?

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: 2 step authentication and app password

You refer to the two step authentication for the customers BT account as shown here:

https://www.bt.com/help/security/two-step-authentication

This will only make the two-step authentication step appear when the person logs into their BT account, obviously that then depends on if they have marked the device off as a trusted device etc.

As for using Microsoft Outlook to get their email, then you can't have an additional password for a btinternet email address.

All Outlook does is use the BT Servers which includes the existing email address and the password used when it was originally set up.

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Full settings can be found here:

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

As the person involved has been hacked, for me the best cause of action I would take here is to firstly make sure that you change the password of the BT account and setup the two-step authentication, you state that you have already setup two-step, just make sure the password is changed as well.

I would then go into each BT email address that the person has setup and also change the password for each of those too, remembering that any existing btinternet email address and password should not really match the persons BT ID, what they use to log into My BT.

Obviously the passwords will then need to be changed in both the BT Email app and Outlook app (if mobile devices are used) and through the account settings on Outlook on the computer itself, but it is worth changing all passwords otherwise you potentially leave an easy backdoor method for them to get back in again.

Finally, if the person does decide one day to log into their BT Email through BT, then double check that their settings are all correct through the link below, they might just only use Outlook, however it covers all your bases and everything is setup correctly etc.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-login-changes

I do not subscribe, so please do not always expect a reply.
0 Ratings