cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

2 weeks on and off of 'cannot get mail' 'the mail server mail.btinternet.com' is not responding..

Im in to week 2 of this issue - where both my Mac and my Iphone cannot recieve mail - and yet sometimes it suddenly decides to work but more frequently it's not working. I can still send mail but cannot recieve it so am  forced into using webmail (which works fine) - does anyone else have this problem of late? I know its not the settings/passwords as it decides to work sometimes. It mys be a BT server issue I guess???

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 2

Re: 2 weeks on and off of 'cannot get mail' 'the mail server mail.btinternet.com' is not responding.

@jubileegallerieswrote:

Im in to week 2 of this issue - where both my Mac and my Iphone cannot recieve mail - and yet sometimes it suddenly decides to work but more frequently it's not working. I can still send mail but cannot recieve it so am  forced into using webmail (which works fine) - does anyone else have this problem of late? I know its not the settings/passwords as it decides to work sometimes. It mys be a BT server issue I guess???

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This forum contains a lot of this type of problem, which you will see by looking at the posts.

What is important, is not to change any settings on any device, nor change any password - and do not contact the helpdesk either via online chat or phone.

If you have your devices set to poll every few minutes, I would initially turn that off and check manually for a while. But if the server fails to respond, don't keep trying! Wait for 30mins to an hour before trying again.

That may not help at all, or indeed in the long run - but it's something to try.

What is clear, is that it is indeed a server access issue - possibly around the authentication system. However BT will NOT do anything to investigate this very often reported fault.

0 Ratings