cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liquoriceman
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

421 Too Many Messages - fails to send emails from any Android email App but works OK in BT Webmail

On Thursday I spent over an hour in an online chat with the BT helpdesk trying to resolve why I am unable to send any emails from any Android App without resolve and in the end the chat was closed by the "manager" without even emailing me a transcript.

I am receiving the 421 Too many messgaes (2.3.1.3) error when composing emails to send from my mobile phone (over wifi or mobile network) but receiving messages OK. Having read on this community that it was likely a message counter which needed resetting by BT technical support this is what I requested from the helpdesk when engaging on the online chat. After going around the houses and trying different things again, I was advised everything was fine because BT Webmail was working when sending from within that and I should only be using Webmail for email instead of using a 3rd party Apps! I even tried to prove a point by setting up my email account on my wife's phone alongside her own BT email  account within the same App on the latest phone running Android 7 and hers sent OK and mine didn't. I couldn't understand how the BT helpdesk manager was still insisting I contact my phone provider or BT Tech Expert (by phone) for more advice as it was a device or App issue!

Whilst looking at Webmail, during our lengthy chat dialogue, I noticed that my son's email account was still linked to mine rather than on a seperate friend/family account. After speaking with him I found  that he never deleted his emails and had nearly 4000 so I promptly created his own new account as a family member, with his own BT ID and transferred it across hoping that this may have uncorked emails queued under my own email addresses; however the issue still exists.

Confusingly, I did create another new email address for myself, under my own BT ID, whilst in Webmail and that does send & receive emails fine from within the same App on the same settings as my address that stopped working.

I had given the account a couple of days for any changes I had made ,or perhaps BT help had made behind the scenes, filter through but am still encountering the same issue. Out of the blue BT called back today to see if the problem had been resolved. I went through a conversation where the same stance was repeated to me again saying that BT cannot track faults from 3rd party Apps and I should only use BT Webmail for email. It was a broken conversation as English was not the first language of the chap on the other end, masked by a lot of background noise, so I  quickly gave up going over old ground and just said that I was resigned to them not being able to help and I'd have to change my primary email address.

As a long-standing BT broadband customer (perhaps contributing to any usage count filling up on my Primary email) I  find it infuriating if indeed I amsubject to an upper limit on emails sent from my Primary address. I'm not a business user but do  occassionally transfer photographs from mobile to laptop via email. In my mind it appears similar to an Inbox being full and until it is freed up nothing else can be sent; but I appear unable to free it up. I've hardly anything saved in email folders on that particlular email address now, after blitzing what was there, but don't know what else to try.

Any ideas how I can resolve the issue on my Primary email address or do I have to switch everything across to a new one?  

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: 421 Too Many Messages - fails to send emails from any Android email App but works OK in BT Webma

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Naturally you were told complete hogwash about only using webmail. These chats are recorded, and if the person really said that - then they need to be told not to spout rubbish.

Anyway, the problem it seems you have is clearly access to pop3/imap on your account - i.e. via apps/clients.

As you indicated, this error has happened before, and there is more than one reason for the issue.

Sub accounts (like your Son's) should have no bearing on the primary email address, emailing a few photos shouldn't cause an issue - though there are better ways to transfer photos from mobile to laptop than by email!

Having said all that, you need the help of a moderator who can look at your account and see where the problem lies.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 15

Re: 421 Too Many Messages - fails to send emails from any Android email App but works OK in BT Webma

Hi @Liquoriceman,

This message can come about when you've sent a lot of emails within a short period of time. We may have believed that spam was being sent which put a 24 hour block on sending new emails. It should have refreshed after the 24 hour period unless you were still trying to send emails. I'd ask that you clear out any emails stuck in your outbox on your app or email clients and not send any emails for 24 hours. After this completes, you should be able to send emails again from your app.

If you believe that you haven't been sending bulk emails out, or you still can't send by email client or app, then please let me know and I'll do all I can to help.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Liquoriceman
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Hi Daniel,
I hadn't been sending any bulk email but since encountering the problem had kept re-trying so I'll clear any remaining in the Outbox and leave it for a day or so before re-trying again. Although it had been working when sending from Webmail and Outlook on the laptop and seemed to only affect attempts from my mobile.

Regards,
Conrad
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Thank you @Liquoriceman.

I really appreciate that. I'll be here tomorrow until 6pm and I'll keep an eye out for a reply.

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Liquoriceman
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Hi Daniel,

Just tried an email sent from within Outlook on the laptop which sent fine and then one from my mobile within Gmail App which still just went to the Outbox and is Queued. I then tried sending an email from my newly created BT email address in Gmail to my Primary email address and it was received on both laptop and mobile. In other words nothing appears to have changed since waiting 24hrs.

Regards,

Conrad

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi @Liquoriceman,

Thanks for confirming that for me. By any chance, do you have a BT Mail account rather than our BT Yahoo Mail service?

I'm not sure if I've got BT Mail or BT Yahoo! Mail

On your mobile, are you using the following settings? 

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers?

Thanks

DanielS

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Liquoriceman
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Hi Daniel,

I'm on a BT Mail account.

Outgoing settings: SMPT server mail.btinternet.com; port 465; security SSL/TLS

Regards

C

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

@Liquoriceman is it only when using an android app that you're getting the 421 error?

If you're not getting the error when using webmail or clients this would indicate there isn't a problem with the BT Mail system.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Liquoriceman
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Hi Neil,

It would appear to only be from within an Android App and that's been tried from 2 different phones alongside other BT email addresses which work without issue.

I had sent some emails containing photographs using the MyMail App (because it has an option to reduce file size when sending) on 29th March which didn't go to an outbox but only just came through earlier today. Having just tried to send again from within my Android App it now sends successfully (although slowly) so it would appear that the blockage has been removed and normal service is resumed.

Just frustrating that nobody appears to know why when I haven't changed anything at my end!

Regards,
Conrad
0 Ratings