cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 55

Re: 421 too many messages???

Go to solution

Like many on this forum I am experiencing real difficulty with BT in trying to find a solution to this error message which comes up when I try to send an email. My error message is The server responded 421 Too many messages(2,3,2,3). I have spoken to BT and they inform me that there is no problem with the server and that I should speak to Microsoft re my Outlook package which is at fault. When I said that from the Community Forum this appeared to be a common problem with the BT server they said that the Forum was nothing to do with them and in effect the complaints were unfounded. Why is this problem going on for so long? 

0 Ratings
hs1nger
Message 12 of 55

Go to solution

I had this problem as I had tried to send an email to 60 people. Although I deleted this from Outlook I then couldn't send any emails for 24 hours, although I could send from the BT Yahoo web mail site. 

I got the usual message from BT that it was a third party issue but taking courage from a post on this site insisted on speaking to a BT Tech Expert. They wanted to charge me £30 but I asked to speak to the manager and made a fuss. Finally a BT Tech expert said they wouldn't charge to tell me that I would be able to send emails again 24 hours after the initial problem. They advise batching up emails to a large number of recipients. I thought they could reset a counter but they didn't offer to do this. So I just had to wait. It has cleared now but extremely annoying.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 13 of 55

Go to solution

I sent a total of one (1) email message two days ago and I could not send any more. I got an error message that I was sending too many messages. So ONE email was too many.

I am paying £5 a month for my BTInternet PREMIUM service and I am only allowed to send one email per day.

BT's serice is unacceptable. The customer service of BT is grossly incompetent and risible. I have moved to Virgin Media and get much better service (and provisions and services in general) from Virgin than I have ever had from BT. The only reason I still have my BT email address is that it is on my stationery and all my websites, and has been for many years, and changing my email address would affect my livelihood.

I cannot get any response from the BT helplines (all of them are useless). There is a special helpline for the BT Premium service but they never answer the phone.

I believe it will take a statutory change to make BT buck up its ideas, because they are such a sluggish, bloated bureatucracy that they are actually unable to do so themselves.

So I don't think they will change. This needs a revolution. BT needs to be dissolved.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 55

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellow I'm sorry about that you shouldn't get the 421 too many messages email after sending one email. I'd like to get this looked into further please can you send me over your details using the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 55

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellowThe 'too many messages' error doesn't mean that you are sending too many messages, it means the SMTP server is overloaded and can't cope with any messages.

0 Ratings
gordgoodfellow
Contributor
Message 16 of 55

Go to solution

And that, of course, makes it acceptable. (???)

BT seems to make escuses based on the various migrations of theiir servers.

Come on: incompetence is incompetence however it's dressed up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 55

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellow wrote:

As liquorice is just a customer like everyone else on this forum, with the exception of the moderators, I don't think he was saying it was acceptable or making excuses for BT's competence or incompetence regarding their email service. He was no doubt just pointing out what the error may be caused by so that you were not wasting your efforts looking in the "wrong place"..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 55

Go to solution

@gordgoodfellow wrote:

Of course I wasn't saying it was acceptable. You obviously haven't read many of my posts about my views of the BT mail service.

0 Ratings
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 19 of 55

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@gordgoodfellowThe 'too many messages' error doesn't mean that you are sending too many messages, it means the SMTP server is overloaded and can't cope with any messages.

Sorry but this isn't corrrect, the error doesn't relate to SMTP performance. Clearly we need to do better, I've asked the team to investigate the problem described in this thread so we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Simon.

Email expertSimon
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Email queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, primarily on BT email queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 55

Go to solution

@Simon-D wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Sorry but this isn't corrrect, the error doesn't relate to SMTP performance. Clearly we need to do better, I've asked the team to investigate the problem described in this thread so we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Simon.

Hmm, not convinced by that. I'm pretty sure it is the SMTP server putting its hand up that it can't cope. I await a full technical explanation from the email team of the cause of the error message.

0 Ratings