Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 55

Re: 421 too many messages???

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@Simon-D wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

@gordgoodfellowThe 'too many messages' error doesn't mean that you are sending too many messages, it means the SMTP server is overloaded and can't cope with any messages.

Sorry but this isn't corrrect, the error doesn't relate to SMTP performance. Clearly we need to do better, I've asked the team to investigate the problem described in this thread so we can get to the bottom of the problem.

Simon.

Hmm, not convinced by that. I'm pretty sure it is the SMTP server putting its hand up that it can't cope. I await a full technical explanation from the email team of the cause of the error message.

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy Don't hold your breath!

0 Ratings
StellaMan
Beginner
Message 22 of 55

Go to solution

"I've asked the team to investigate the problem described in this thread so we can get to the bottom of the problem" ... getting anywhere, Simon ?!?

0 Ratings
AMACADAM
Message 23 of 55

Go to solution

Has anyone found a solution to this as i've experienced the same problem today with the famous "421 Too Many Messages". I am still waiting to send emails but I can receive them.

I have on and off 3 1/2 hours between chat line, speaking to 4 different people none of whom whave technical skills to help me and the last person referred me to www.bt.com/techexperts which i followed only to find out that it was going to cost me FROM £8 a month for something that is a BT problem.

Is anyone here left sane...

0 Ratings
spoon4gravy
Message 24 of 55

Go to solution

I've just hit the same problem trying to send a personalised email to a group of 280. I've also hit the same response from BT. So to prove its not a MS Outlook issue I found a work around. Delete your email account, you will continue to receive emails for upto 60 days, and then re-activate it. Hey presto, the emails stuck in my outbox are sent. So clearly deleting the account at BT's end, reset something at BT's end and not at my end or surprisingly at Microsoft.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 25 of 55

Go to solution

I have had the same problem - for the second time within a few weeks.  Unable to send emails and receiving the same 421 messafe - "too many messages".  It seems pretty clear that it was caused by sending a short email to a group - not particulalry large (I had divided recpeients into batches) but too large.  ThereafterI  could not send any emails at all.  Unfortunately the first time the BT technician to whom I eventually spoke (after many hours) and who sorted the problem declined to state what the problem was.  If he had done so, much time may have been saved 2nd time around.  On both occasions BT have insisted that the problem is nothing to do with them but it seems clear tha the fualt lies with them despite their protestations to the contrary.  On the 2nd occasion (today) the problem resloved itself out of the blue - 34 hrs after it arose! And after masess of time had been wasted in conversations with BT and Microsoft - who, despite BT saying that the problem rested with them, were unable to resolve it.

I see that Simon from BT stated on 27 April that there wyere going to get to the bottom of the proble,m.  Almost 2 monthsf further on, and after many posts about thee problem going back more than a year, they have clearly done absolutely nothing.  Actions speak louder than words.  A total disgrace from one of the UK's largest and best known companies.  Shame on you BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 55

Go to solution

If you have a check of the forum you will see that Simon from BT has not posted on forum since 18.05.17 and has not been on the forum since 06.07.17 so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for him to resolve the problem unless of course his lack of attendance has been because he and his team have been busy trying to sort out the BT email mess. 

0 Ratings
berrpe
Beginner
Message 27 of 55

Go to solution

I was unable to send emails after attempting to send an email "reply all" to a large number of recipients.

I received no warning or clue as to why i could no longer send emails and it was only through reading these pages that I discovered the problem.

I had over an hour's on-line chat with BT who were of no help whatsoever.  All they did was attempt to engineer the problem towards being one of Outlook when it was clear that the error message I was getting was from the BT mail server.

I got the EM:

Task 'xxxx.xxxxxxx@btinternet.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (2.4.1.3) from 86.179.108.49'

I found that I could send emails from the BT-Yahoo website and this was enough evidence for the "helpdesk" to declare it was nothing to do with BT and that I should adjust my Outlook settings.

The ability to send emails was silently restored after a couple of hours.

It was a frustrating and unpleasant experience and entirely typical of BT who have one of the worst reputations for customer support.  I will be leaving BT at the first opportunity.

0 Ratings
PhilG1
Message 28 of 55

Go to solution

I had almost exactly the same experience which arose for the same reason ('Reply All' to a short-texted but large-addressee-group email), following which I couldn't send any e-mails from this one account only. I was able to send e-mails from other accounts (BT and gmail) in the same Outlook programme. Initially the Sending Error message (click on the 'Sending Error' button in the bottom task bar) was '0x800CCC0F The connection with the server was interrupted...' but this changed within 30 minutes to an hour to '0x800CCC67 The server responded 421 too many messages (n.n.n.n) from nn.nnn.nnn.nn' The BT Chatline e-mail man (Amit) 'proved' to me that it was an Outlook client issue by having me send an e-mail from the account via the BT e-mail webpage. Before I contacted the Microsoft Outlook helpline, I checked that I still had the problem. I hadn't!! It may be that sending an email from the BT webpage sorts the problem?

0 Ratings
Julian4
Message 29 of 55

Go to solution

I have been faced with this for 3 days - no outgoing emails from OUTLOOK - MS Mail on either my PC or iPhone 7.

The problem is that BT will say if you use BT Mail it works [and it does] and that is their defence and that OUTLOOK is not their responsibility. 

The problem lies in the SMTP servers used by BT for other providers. Their own BT Mail DOES NOT USE SMTP SERVERS

It look me several hours talking to the BT Helpdesk in Philippines and India to get them to understand this.

I ask eventually to speak to the Manager Sankra Boyal - he was most helpful - he spoke good English and was sympathetic to my problem. He said he would 'upgrade' the problem and forward to the 'technical dept'.

It was necessary I found out to 'unlock' the blockage on BT's SMTP server for your email address. 

I was delighted  during the night that this was sorted!  

So please don't accept that because it works OK on BT Mail its somebody elses fault - Its BT's!! 

Hope you find this helpful! 

0 Ratings
Julian4
Message 30 of 55

Go to solution

I have managed to sort this problem out after a lengthy discussion with BT technical staff.

BT will tell you that if the BT Mail works ok then its not their fault. In my case OUTLOOK.

I spoke to MS OUTLOOK and they said it was a server problem with BT.

Back to BT I explained that the reason BT Mail worked was because they do not use SMTP servers - so of course it works!

Its is necessary for BT Engineers to unlock the SMTP server that caters for your email address. When this is done all is cleared. So do not accept that it is OUTLOOK or MS Mail at fault.

Ask for the Manager if you are not happy. 

It worked for me and normality returned during the night.

Hope you find it helpful.

0 Ratings