Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 55

Re: 421 too many messages???

Go to solution

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you confirm you were getting the 421 message? And was this for any specific number of email addresses to which you were sending? Or was it for any email, including single emails?

From your explanation of BT having to unlock the SMTP access for your email address, it seems like there is an inherent fault that flags accounts to prevent them from using apps/client (i.e. smtp) despite being ok previously.

What should happen now is that the support people, including moderators, need to investigate how and why this has happened.

0 Ratings
Stu_B
Beginner
Message 32 of 55

Go to solution

And so it goes on. I had it apparrently on all my sub-accounts a week ago for about 48 hrs, contacted the helpdesk and then put on to Tech help, but before the appointed time came for him to call me back the fault cleared and I could send again. But about a day later the fault is back, now just on my principle email address. Being able to send emails to a group of colleagues is fundamental to my email needs. I do cut the distribution lists down to about 30 people in each and in the past this has worked OK but lists that have worked in the past no longer work now it seems. Like others I was told to talk to microsoft as it was an outlook fault, but other users on this thread have established that this is not the case,  Seems like others here I will have to terminate my BT account as ther seems no will or technical ability in the company to accept and fix the prpblem. Truly awfiul customer service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 55

Go to solution

@Stu_Bwrote:

And so it goes on. I had it apparrently on all my sub-accounts a week ago for about 48 hrs, contacted the helpdesk and then put on to Tech help, but before the appointed time came for him to call me back the fault cleared and I could send again. But about a day later the fault is back, now just on my principle email address. Being able to send emails to a group of colleagues is fundamental to my email needs. I do cut the distribution lists down to about 30 people in each and in the past this has worked OK but lists that have worked in the past no longer work now it seems. Like others I was told to talk to microsoft as it was an outlook fault, but other users on this thread have established that this is not the case,  Seems like others here I will have to terminate my BT account as ther seems no will or technical ability in the company to accept and fix the prpblem. Truly awfiul customer service.

Hi.

This is not an Outlook fault, as the same issue would happen with any mail client.

There is actually no specific need to stop your account and move elsewhere, but simply start using a different mail service like Gmail. Other ISPs do have upper sending limits as well.

The problem with BT email is indeed that no one investigates, no one takes ownership of the probkem that's been happening for years. The helpdesk and online chat, as well as twitter help very often deny any issues. There is without doubt an element of fear in the company to raise problems. Management don't want to hear it. That is the only way to improve the situation, listen to the complaints and act on them. It doesn't matter if the ratio of complaints is very small, it is those that define the business.

Sort it out.

0 Ratings
Stu_B
Beginner
Message 34 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks for your quick reply, Andy, but the only reason I have not left BT already is that changing my very well established email addresses is a considerable pain (and I guess BT know that and that is why they think they can "afford" to be so cavalier in their attitude to the problem); and if I were to just change email address, why would I want to continue to be a BT customer if their attitude to this problem is so poor! Indeed, if (hmm, starting to think that should be "when" not "if"!) I changed email address, I'd change to another broadband provider even if it cost a bit more just to spite BT!

BTW, I also get quite a lot of email failures saying "Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). " Are BT any better at taking that seriously?

Anyway, thanks for your help here, Andy, must be a thankless task at times!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Nightlight
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 55

Go to solution

Problem still exists as I now have it, think I'm on my 2nd callback....

BT...sigh!!

0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 55

Go to solution

This happened to me yesterday. I run emails via the Outlook 2010 portal, as I find webmail cumbersome and non-user-friendly.

After one of the now increasingly frequent server outages, being for no apparent reason unable to send or receive via Outlook for a 12-hour period, getting the standard "server not responding, unable to log in" message (that's another story...)... when this cleared, I was still unable to send messages. I was getting the 421 error message "too many messages 1.4.1.3 from 86.129.55.36". In exasperation at midnight I phoned BT Support and received the standard "if your BT webmail is working the problem is not with BT, it is with third-party software which we do not support, we are not trained to help you with this" etc... so I then spent over 2 hours on the online chat to Microsoft Support who couldn't have been more unhelpful. They immediately sidestepped my query (which I had outlined concisely at the start of our conversation) by suggesting I upgrade immediately to Office 365 which they would give me on a free 3-month subscription!  When I explained patiently that I only wanted a solution to my problem I was eventually offered a one-off attempt at tech support to fix the problem (with no guarantee) for 29 dollars. Further persistence on my part did absolutely no good, they insisted that due to a recent change in policy Office 2010 was no longer free-supported and still tried to push me into Office 365 immediately.  They wouldn't even offer any tips for possible causes or solutions to my problem.

After a sleepless night I desperately contacted a friend who gave me the link to this community site and told me that the IP address 86.129.55.36 is in fact a BT server and I should pursue BT again - easier said than done, I find.  However, I first followed the advice given on this forum, to "leave it and see what happens", and lo and behold! I suddenly find I am able to send emails again from Outlook!  What a coincidence, coming almost 12 hours after my phone call to BT Tech Support - did some technician come across my counter and reset it, I wonder?  Either way, I am heavily "touching wood" in the hope that I can get on and complete some urgent work this weekend.

Meanwhile, your correspondents are absolutely right - why is BT continuing to lie to us by saying it is a 3rd party software issue when it is NOT? 

A few months ago, I was involved in a protracted series of calls from and to BT premium technical support when I complained about the frequency of the "sudden 12-hour outage" issue, and was assured it would not happen again (ha! pigs might fly!).  Has this phenomenon attracted another topic thread on the forum? Have I the time to investigate further?  Time is simply too short to waste in pursuing things that should be right in the first place. I am thoroughly fed up with the unpredictability of this service and the cavalier attitude of the distant BT support team who seem to refuse to acknowledge the problem even exists let alone find a long-term fix for it.

Like several correspondents, I would not wish to be lumbered with the excessive admin associated with an enforced change of email address, and I do not wish to have to rely on webmail since the Outlook user interface is so much simpler and user-friendly. (Webmail's login timeout is infuriating to say the least, and Webmail has no help screens.... there's far too much trial and error or guesswork involved...)

I welcome any further advice on these issues that fellow-users may be able to offer.

0 Ratings
David782
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 55

Go to solution
I am not a Visitor, I am a recently-joined member. How should I be shown?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 55

Go to solution

@David782wrote:
I am not a Visitor, I am a recently-joined member. How should I be shown?

Hi.

The Visitor/Newbie status etc changes the more posts you make.

0 Ratings
gatehill
Contributor
Message 39 of 55

Go to solution

Same problem. Had an on-line chat with BT who gave me the phone number of the technical dept (0800 800 154) and they understood the problem and said someone from level 2 support would ring. On their call back they said delete anything from the outbox and it would auto-clear within 24 hours.

My original problem was that I did a Reply All to an email not realising there we more than 50 addresses - which is BT/Yahoo's limit - as I have learnt from past experience!

0 Ratings
Colinm1
Message 40 of 55

Go to solution

I had just ordered a fibre broadband package when i found this thread re bt outlook email problems.

i have cancelled my order

0 Ratings