Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 51 of 55

Re: 421 too many messages???

Go to solution

@LanguedocFoxwrote:

The first message in this thread has a link saying that the issue has been solved. Click the link, and it takes you to a message (around 6 or 8 posts in) which doesn't have a solution. There are now around 50 posts on this thread, and the problem is still there. There are also lots of other threads on the same subject, none with a solution.

Briefly, I had the same issue (421 - too many messages), and same useless response from BT support. The 'online chat' service ended with me being told that it's not BT's issue and the 'adviser' disconnected; I then spent 93 minutes on the phone talking to the support service, and being told again that it was not a problem with BT (it clearly was/is).

I was then advised (informally) that it might be best to wait for 24/48 hours and not attempt to send any emails during that time. I did this, and 48 hours later, I can send emails.

I'm stuck on a contract with BT that finishes in Janury 2020, when I shall find a new provider who will hopefully not have such an appalling attitude to its customers and customer service. Incidentally, the full name for this support forum is apparently "BTCare Community Forums". The 'Care' shows that someone in BT understands irony.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

When a thread is solved, that usually only means it is solved for the person making the initial post. It will hardly ever mean it is a generic solution.

The issue is with the system, and it gets a lot wrong with this issue. Sometimes it marks accounts as compromised due to spammers using the address of the poor person in a spam run. The account clearly hasn't been hacked, but the system still can lock it. There are other reasons too.

However - you don't have to use BTinternet email. You can use others, including free ones like Gmail or Outlook. You will be far better off. Having a contract with BT makes no difference to this.

I agree one of the problems is BT's useless helpdesk, online chat and in many cases their twitter feed. The best place is this forum by a long distance.

0 Ratings
Message 52 of 55

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

you don't have to use BTinternet email. You can use others, including free ones like Gmail or Outlook. You will be far better off. Having a contract with BT makes no difference to this.

Thanks.

I would never have an ISP-related email address, and especially not BTInternet. I have my own email address/domain name which I have had for over 20 years. I use BT merely as a server for outgoing mail. I don't think I have any alternative if I wish (as I do) to use Outlook. Until, that is, I find another ISP in 13 months' time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 53 of 55

Go to solution

You can use whatever outgoing (SMTP)  server you like as long as you have an account on it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 54 of 55

Go to solution

@LanguedocFoxwrote:

I would never have an ISP-related email address, and especially not BTInternet. I have my own email address/domain name which I have had for over 20 years. I use BT merely as a server for outgoing mail. I don't think I have any alternative if I wish (as I do) to use Outlook. Until, that is, I find another ISP in 13 months' time.

With regard Outlook, I'm referring to the email offering (outlook.live.com - the old hotmail type of account). With the free ones, you can use their mail servers.

It does depend on your domain provider and what you're paying for as a service. Some simply offer email addresses, but need the ISP servers in order to send, or a higher premium to use your own domain as a server.

However, if you're not using BTinternet email, how is the 421 message being relayed to you? What is the exact error message? (if you post it, remove any personal info).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SallyR
Message 55 of 55

Go to solution

I received the error '421 Too many messages (1.4.1.3) from 5.81.255.36' repeatedly when trying to send e-mails. BT say it is solved but it isn't.

0 Ratings