Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gspearson
Expert
Message 1 of 4

554 - emails to me rejected as spam

In the last few days some people sending me emails are getting this message:

"I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below. <gsp*****@btopenworld.com> failed: btopenworld.com:     554 Message rejected on 2018/09/09 14:46:09 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/bulksender"

One is a gmail address, another is one.com; although there are endless posts here about 554, I don't see any with a solution so I presume I need to wait until someone kicks the BT server. The man in Calcutta is booked to call me at 2pm on Wednesday - not sure why as there is nothing to see at this end.  I get dozens of emails every day so this is a nuisance.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
gspearson
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: 554 - emails to me rejected as spam

If anyone has found a solution or found that there isn't one that info would be helpful.

Geoff

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 3 of 4

NIce man from Calcutta phoned today.  Would I ask the people who sent me emails that were rejected to send the exact same emails to an address in BT.com as there must be something in their emails which has been rejected as spam?  As these people have been sending me emails for years and this started happening only last week that is a very unlikely thesis. In fact the problem has gone away today - just like it has done for many people who use this forum.

I refused to do this. If the problem recurs, I shall make a formal complaint.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

In my view that's a ridiculous question from the mail team.

The system is faulty, there are enough reports about it, yet BT ignore it.

This is where companies get it wrong, they don't take complaints seriously enough and say "well 95% of people are happy". This simply misses the point, it's the 5% they need to get sorted.

They do need examples of failures, but this must be seen by the internal systems. Surely email traces can pinpoint failures and why they occur. It's even possible that due to overload conditions, emails are simply rejected giving an incorrect reason.

0 Ratings