This has been happening for some time now, but when it began it wasn;t so important. Now it has become an issue.
Some e mails sent to my bt internet account just do not arrive.
Example 1. I have a gmail e mail account I use mostly for my phone. Sometimes something requires forwarding to my BT internet e mail so I can deal with it on my laptop. They never arrive but show as sent in the g mail system.
I have an indeed account for my job search. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped getting acknowledgements to applications made. At the time I thought it was just indeed moving the furnitre about.
Yesterday, I discovered for some reason, passwords stored in my Chrome browser seem to have disappeared, so, when I went to log on to indeed, I couldn;t. The autoresponded said it would send me a code by e mail and no matter how often I repeat the get code exercise, it never arrives.
I've had the odd problem with friend sayin they e maile me and I never saw it.
I have checked blosked senders list for the indeed and g mail e mai laddresses, they are not there.
I get pretty much all other mail sent to me.
Has any expert got an opinion on this or anything I should look out for not mentioned above pleaase?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Check that you have not blocked your gmail email address or and the gmail domain in your BT email account.
Log onto your BTMail account and then click on your username at the right hand side. Select "Settings" then go to the left hand side and select "Mail". Scroll down and click on "Blocked Senders". Scroll down the list until you find the one you want to unblock and select it. Click on "delete".
I have a lot of blocked senders in the list. I've scolled down and looked at them individually, I see they are listed in alphebetical order.
Not sure if there is a way of checking a domain other than shwt I am doing manually?
Since your first response, I have been back in for another look and for example my g mail address isn't there
I also looked for somethig at indeed as I am not sure what the originating e mail is.
Let me know if I can go deeper with this.
Other than the "Indeed" email address are the emails that you know you are not receiving all coming from gmail accounts?
Blocked Domains appear at the top of the list in alphabetical order and are followed by email addresses in alphabetical order.
If you have checked the the gmail Domain is not blocked you should add any gmail addresses that you know you receive email from, such as your own, to your "Safe Senders" list.
Because you mentioned that your stored passwords were deleted from your browser you should consider the possibility that your device has been hacked.
I would carry out a full in depth malware and virus scan and check all your email accounts for any "forwarding" having been set up. Obviously if there has been any set up that was not done by you, you should take a note of the forwarding email address and delete it and thereafter start the process of changing all your passwords.
EDIT: I should have added that you should check that your antivirus is not blocking the email addresses for some reason.
Seems like a logical plan. I will have a go at this over the weekend.
You are a genius.
I found foth gmail and indeed.com in the blocked domains list.
No idea how that happened.
I've deleted them and will conduct tests
Thank you for clarifying my direction
If you are happy that your device has not been hacked, you should do an Internet search for "Chrome lost stored passwords" or something similar.
There are a few reason and solutions to why that might just be an issue with Chrome and how you may be able to recover them.
As regards how your gmail domain was blocked, be careful how you use the "More" button or right click giving the drop down box when moving or deleting etc emails. It is easy to click the wrong action.
Will do extra security work over the weekend.
Thank you once more