Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

A sudden plague of Spam emails

Hi.

Is anyone else finding their Email inbox being filled with more Spam E-mail than genuine E-Mail at this time.

These Emails most have slightly altered Adresses such as @xxx.shutterstock.com or ---@---.vip.co.uk  or something along those generic lines, it's absolutely driving me nuts, I mark them as Spam and Block Sender and Block Domain but each new piece of spam has a slightly different Sender or Domain that it makes no difference.

Surely the Whizzkids at BT spam central can block them as the Senders address and Domain is so obviously only used for the sole purpose of sending out spam.

Is there any other thing I can do to stop these rougues from filling my BT Email Inbox with 85% Spam emails ???

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Les-Gibson
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: A sudden plague of Spam emails

The very best thing you can do is abandon BT email altogether and create a gmail account, it doesn't cost a penny, is more secure than BT email and you will still have your account if you change broadband provider. What's commonly known as a win - win scenario

If the Smart Hub 2 is BT's best hub yet then what does that say about its predecessors ?
0 Ratings
Bloodnock
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I would but the my BT email addy is on my Business cards and other online advertising and rather ties me to my current BT email account for the foreseeable future.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I would but the my BT email addy is on my Business cards and other online advertising

That`s what you would expect if you use a BT Residential email address for business usage, as its not intended for that and is not permitted anyway. I assume you are not referring to the BT Connect email system which is for BT business users? 

https://business.forums.bt.com/t5/Email-and-hosting/bd-p/Webhosting

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Are you a BT Business account holder. If so you should post on the BT Business Forum Home - BT Business Community

If you not a BT Business account holder and you are using a BT domestic email account for business it is against the Terms and Conditions of BTMail. While there is no doubt BT will not pursue that matter it does mean that you are limited to the Service Level Agreement of a domestic account instead of the much higher SLA of a business account which may offer some sort of better solution to deal with spammers than a domestic email SLA.

Because you use your email address on your Business Cards and on online advertisements it will have been easy for the spammers to harvest the address knowing it is an active email address. This makes the address a commodity that can be sold, albeit for a pittance, to other spammers.

As you have found out blocking the email address or domain has little or no effect because the spammers or rather their computer set up changes them virtually on every email sent.

These attacks general come in waves targeting the chosen email accounts until either the spam filters catch up and block them or the spammers move onto another block of email addresses. This usually happens after about a week.

I would suggest just mark them as spam, not bothering to block them or the domain and just ride it out until the spammers move on or the spam filters catch up. 

0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

I have the same problem and have been forwarding them to the government reporting site
https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing

Some of the variants have stopped, new ones appear.

I also block the domain in the BT phone App and this definitely reduces the repeat offenders.

0 Ratings