I am trying to access my BT Mail from my Samsung Mobile mail app. I get the message below. My email address and password is correct, the ones I log into my BT account BT ID with.
I have also tried the MS Outlook mobile app and while I don’t get this message it also won’t connect with the server.
The odd thing about this is that I can access the server and my email with MS Outlook on my laptop. From there I can check the server settings which are the same I am using for the mobile attempts.
I believe the problem is with the BT server settings. The only thing that has changed between accessing the server from my laptop and attempting to access it from my mobile is that I have deleted my old BT address, leaving the newly created one, which is the one I am trying to access from my mobile now and the one I am accessing from my laptop.
Prior to switching email addresses, I was accessing my BTmail (old address) just fine from my mobile either with the Samsung or MS Outlook Apps.
“Couldn’t verify Account
The username or password is incorrect or POP3/IMAP access isn’t turned on for this account. Check you email account settings on the web, then try again.”
Solved! Go to Solution.
Make sure you are using the correct server settings.
See link if you were/are using the Yahoo server settings
Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your BT email via a BT Premium Email account?
If you are a either of those, can you log onto your MyBT then go to Your Products > Email > Manage and check to see if your email account is showing there and if it is. is it active and des it say what type of email account it is ie Basic or Standard?
I am a Broadband customer, not a premium customer. The email account is active because I am using it from the MS Outlook client on my laptop which is both receiving and sending email via my newly created address. I am not on the old Yahoo system and I am using the correct mail.btinternet.com server. I am wondering if my new email address settings on the BT server are causing a problem with new access, although they are working on my laptop via MS Outlook.
I know you said your email account is active because you are using it but I wanted to know if it is showing as active in your MyBT because it can still work but not show as active which would indicate a problem. You have not said if it shows as Basic or Standard type of email account.
To clarify if I have this correct because it is not very clear in your post:
Do you have two email addresses?
Both your "old" and "new" email addresses work using Outlook on your laptop?
Your "old" email address does not work on your phone?
Many, many thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.
The account is showing as active and type is standard. I had one email address last week, I then created another. I then had both working fine from Outlook on laptop and the original one working from mobile. I then deleted the old one from my BT and cleared the account from Outlook on the laptop and deleted the old account from the mobile. The new email address is working fine from Outlook on the laptop but I can not get connected to the new account from the mobile either from the Samsung client of Outlook App.
Thanks for the clarity.
What can happen is that BT servers can take a short time to sync when either a password is changed or when a new account has been set up.
What is strange though is that the servers appear to have sync OK for your Outlook but not for the phone.
In some instances, if you have already set up the email account on your mobile device, turning the device off for at least an hour or if possible longer and stopping any other device, such as your laptop from checking for email during that time can sort out the sync problem.
If that doesn't work you could try deleting the email account from your phone and restart the phone. Do not at this point try and add the email account back onto the email app or the Outlook app.
Stop your laptop from checking for email. The easiest way of doing that is to turn it off or just add a couple of digits to the email address in Outlook so that it is trying to access the wrong email address.
Once you have done that, change your email password and then check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).
If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the email account with the new password to your phone using just one of the apps and check it works. If it does then move onto your laptop and after removing the extra digits if you added them, add the new password and check it works.
When setting up the email account on your phone you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.
I did the second part of your recommended process as I had already deleted all previous email accounts from my mobile and restarted it. That worked and all is now up and running. Thanks very much for the help. Wierd that all that was necessary though.