Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Accessing BT emails once account is closed

Go to solution

Hi

I have a question about accessing my BT historical emails in the event I close my BT account in future.

I have read that I can save my emails onto eg Windows Mail which I have done and it works ie I can now see all my BT emails there also. 

What I want to check is - Will these emails still be there on Windows Mail when I close my BT account sometime in the future? They are important emails to me and I must continue to have access to them when I no longer have an account with BT!

Thanks in advance. Sorry for dumb question.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Accessing BT emails once account is closed

Go to solution

@Doodie 

Unless you pay for BT Premium mail, you will lose access via Windows Mail, and will only be able to use webmail.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

But the mails will remain on your PC.

To make absolutely sure, create a folder in Windows mail and move all emails to that folder.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for the 2 replies above but now even more confused than before, as they seem to conflict or maybe it's just I don't understand. 

My basic question is - how do I make sure I can still have access to my BT historical emails once I close my BT account?  

If you can help present some options to me and break down the steps for an idiot's guide I would be grateful. I have heard about Windows Mail or Thunderbird as possible options, and now maybe BT Premium?

Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Keith's reply was for ongoing access, not retention of historical emails. If you have downloaded the emails to a client such as Thunderbird or Windows mail they will be on your PC as well as on the BT server.

As I said previously, to make absolutely sure they don't get deleted, you can create an offline folder on the mail client and move the emails from your inbox and sent mails to that folder(s)

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

When you set up your Windows Mail did you set it up as an IMAP account or a POP3 account?

If you are not sure, open the Mail app and go into the settings and find the server settings.

If it is an IMAP account you will need to do what has already been suggested. If it is a POP3 account your emails will already be downloaded and saved onto your PC and will be accessible off line when you leave BT.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Even with IMAP, they will still be accessible offline with the added advantage that your sent mail and other folders will also be stored. IIMAP replicates what is on the server on your machine. As long as you don't try to sync with an 'empty' server your mails will remain on your PC. Moving them to offline folders prevents insdvertant deletion

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi, seems to be POP3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi

When you say create an offline folder, do you mean create a new folder within Windows Mail? I did that but now I can also see that folder in my BT email account? Which therefore doesn't seem 'offline' to me? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Don't know about Windows mail, but you can create offline folders in MS Outlook and Thunderbird.