cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 18

Re: Accessing BTinternet email account settings to change reply-to address for webmail

Go to solution

@chris-rwrote:

The village in which I was living decided to provide a switching service. Take a new ID such as xxx@villagename.net, tell them who your proper service provider was eg xxx@btinternet.com, arrange for all incoming mail to go to the village (hence the set up of "Reply to") and their system redirects it.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

However the thing to do is not use webmail (as Carol has implied within this thread). Of course, if you need to - then that will cause a problem if that reply-to can't be altered/deleted.

I'm surprised BTMail can't alter the reply-to address - which indicates that if one was set when the account was BTYahoo back in early 2014, any migrated accounts should have lost the reply-to, or it was altered to the "normal" email address.

If you can't see that Yahoo image top left within webmail, you are with BTMail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

Re: Accessing BTinternet email account settings to change reply-to address for webmail

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

@chris-rwrote:

The village in which I was living decided to provide a switching service. Take a new ID such as xxx@villagename.net, tell them who your proper service provider was eg xxx@btinternet.com, arrange for all incoming mail to go to the village (hence the set up of "Reply to") and their system redirects it.

Interesting stuff, thanks.

However the thing to do is not use webmail (as Carol has implied within this thread). Of course, if you need to - then that will cause a problem if that reply-to can't be altered/deleted.

I'm surprised BTMail can't alter the reply-to address - which indicates that if one was set when the account was BTYahoo back in early 2014, any migrated accounts should have lost the reply-to, or it was altered to the "normal" email address.

If you can't see that Yahoo image top left within webmail, you are with BTMail.

Hopefully the moderators will see the posts from @Carol3 and @chris-r and invite them to contact them to find out about changing/deleting the "Reply-to" address.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

Clearly some as indicated by some o the earlier responses to my post and other conversations elsewhere.

Anyhow, BT have  now agreed it is their problem and have referred it to their mail server team.

Anyone else with the same problem needs to get on to them if they want it fixed.  It is only a problem if you use web mail.  It doesn't happen with Outlook Express or mail for Windows 10 for example.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Hi @Carol3 and @chris-r,

I am sorry to see that this is happening. From what I have read, it appears that you were both on BT Yahoo Mail originally and set up a reply-to option. You were then migrated onto our BT Mail emails in 2014 but the reply-to feature seems to have stayed on your account. You can't remove it as we don't offer this service on BT Mail. Also, when you use an email client it doesn't use the reply-to feature but as soon as you use webmail it does.

I'll need to take a look at both of your emails and I'll contact our suppliers for our BT Mail service. I've sent you both a private message to get some details from you.

Thanks

DanielS

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

@DanielSwrote:

Hi @Carol3 and @chris-r,

I am sorry to see that this is happening. From what I have read, it appears that you were both on BT Yahoo Mail originally and set up a reply-to option. You were then migrated onto our BT Mail emails in 2014 but the reply-to feature seems to have stayed on your account. You can't remove it as we don't offer this service on BT Mail. Also, when you use an email client it doesn't use the reply-to feature but as soon as you use webmail it does.

I'll need to take a look at both of your emails and I'll contact our suppliers for our BT Mail service. I've sent you both a private message to get some details from you.

Thanks

DanielS

Thanks for looking into this, but surely if this feature is not available on BTMail, how on earth was it copied across? How many other people does this potentially affect that don't even know it? There's even a security issue around it.

Is there a way of going back to the migration system to find out? In other words, those migrated at the time with a different reply-to address set to their btinternet address, should have it corrected.

It makes me wonder what software programmers were involved, and why they didn't have a proper knowledge of the products before writing the code (including verification of correct transfer).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

Hi All,

I wanted to let you know that I spoke directly with our suppliers yesterday.

They have confirmed that the 'Reply-to' email address was mirrored across as part of the original migration. @Carol3 & @chris-r, as you both should know by now, we have removed the email addresses that we had stored as the 'Reply-to' for you.

@Andy_N you are very welcome. You are right, this feature wasn't something that we offered. However, it was something that our suppliers were capable of providing which is why it worked when the details were migrated over. I've spoken with our Email Product team and they will be investigating it. It's something that we can check.

Thanks

DanielS

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Problem now fixed thanks to intervention by BT Community Forum Moderator.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

@DanielSwrote:

@Andy_N you are very welcome. You are right, this feature wasn't something that we offered. However, it was something that our suppliers were capable of providing which is why it worked when the details were migrated over. I've spoken with our Email Product team and they will be investigating it. It's something that we can check.

Thanks

DanielS

Thanks for getting this checked. However the issue still arises that the Email Product team "removed" the reply-to feature with scant regard for those that had it set. That's not acceptable. Removal of a feature should have either been relayed to the users that had it set for them to remove it - or the feature change should have removed the reply-to address.

0 Ratings