cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UKSal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Accessing Email with Outlook

I have recently decided to add a second bt email address to Outlook. It is an email that was created a while ago, and I use it to keep things separate from the other bt email address I also use.

When I tried to add it to Outlook, I received constant error messages so was unable to add it. After several hours I went to bed hoping that by morning it may have resolved it's self. Alas this was not the case.

So not to be defeated and as I have a 3rd email address with BT, I tried to add that and it worked 1st time.

The only difference between the 2 other than the actual email address, was that one of the passwords contained the character "%"

I have changed the password, replacing this character and all is ok.

Would this really be the reason? If so, surely BT need to address this as I must have read countless threads last night to try and find a solution or workaround but only read unanswered questions seemingly with a similar problem with BTemail/Outlook. Or maybe just changing the password sorted out some other BT server problem?

Just posting this in case it helps someone else, you never know.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Accessing Email with Outlook

Yes, there are several posts on the forum regarding the use of special characters in the password.

0 Ratings
UKSal
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Accessing Email with Outlook

Yes, I am sure there are if you know that that is the problem. 🙄 You can't find any reference to such when trying to search for issues between BTMail and Outlook. My email and password have worked perfectly with other email clients.

The problem is you have to know what the answer is to find the question, hence my post that might help those who don't know the answer.

One email client's special character is another's normal character, not accepting a character because your system thinks its too special is a feature or a bug. Irrespective of what the view is, it needs to be documented as a feature especially when directed to the IMAP settings, or fixed, ie allow it's use, or restrict it's use when setting passwords. Lots of companies have this cabability.

Using customerss to quality check your systems is not the best way to keep your customers happy.

0 Ratings