Highlighted
izzyeeles
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Accessing old email messages on BT/Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

Hi,

I can no longer access all the old(er) emails in my Yahoo account:

The furtherst back I can go is 62 pages and that takes me back to June 2010, however I have had an account for much longer (like for the last 7/8 years at least, probably more) and I really need to see some of these older message.

I was so surprised that I can't find them anywhere and don't know what to do. Can anyone shed some light on the matter where are they, where do older emails go? Why aren't they there!? They can't just have dissapeared or be deleted by yahoo surely? I have unlimited space so I expect to be able to see all the emails I've ever recieved and not just recent ones... 

Help! 🙂

Thanks,

Isabel

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Accessing old email messages on BT/Yahoo Mail

Go to solution

There may be a way. Are your e-mails in multiple folders?

0 Ratings
izzyeeles
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

No not really (moved a few around recently but hardly any) is this good or bad?? :s 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

Do you access your mail using the Yahoo webmail interface, or do you use an e-mail client like Outlook or Outlook Express?

0 Ratings
izzyeeles
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

Just via a browser, guess thats the webmail interface?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

Yes, that is correct.

You should be able to create a local copy of all your folders, on your computer using an IMAP mail client.

Take a look at the following instructions, it a program used by many of the people on this forum.

Thunderbird setup for BT Yahoo e-mail

What it does is to replicate the folders on your webmail account, so you can view them on your computer.

You can then sort them by date, and see how far back your messages go.

When you start it up, it will ask you for your e-mail address, and then lookup the ISP details.

Make sure you select the IMAP (local folders) option.

It may take a while to replicate your messages, if you have a lot of them.

0 Ratings
izzyeeles
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

To Keith

Oh ok well that sounds interesting and doable, will it be ok to do on a work computer? Already have outlook linked with googe on here with a work account. Might wait til I'm home and can do it on my laptop.

Got my fingers crossed the messages somehow go back futher.

I'll keep you posted with my situation and ask for more help if not... thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

I would not use it on a work computer, especially if it has Outlook on it Smiley Sad

Wait until you get home, and install it on your own computer.

If you need any help, let me know.

0 Ratings
izzyeeles
Beginner
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Hi Keith

I installed thunderbird on my computer at home and it all worked, downloaded ok and connected perfectly but unfortunately it shows me only the same emails that I see via webmail - the emails stops at April 2010, I can't see anything from before then.

I take this as a bad sign, what's next, is there anything else I can do? I don't understahnd where they've all gone! 😞 

Thanks, Isabel

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Isabel,

Do you remember ever trying to use Outlook or Outlook Express, or any other e-mail program that uses POP3 prior to that date?

Did you try to access from work using Outlook maybe?

If you did, then that would have downloaded all of your e-mails, then deleted them from the BT Yahoo servers, and they are gone forever.

Perhaps you had an old computer or laptop which had Outlook Express on it. Or maybe a mobile phone with e-mail access?

If you did, and you still have that program, they you may be able to recover them from there.

You wil notice with Thunderbird, that you can now save your e-mails to your own local storage for safekeeping, should Yahoo decide to delete any more, if that is what they did.

Its more likely that you downloaded and deleted them by mistake.

I would recommend that you use Thunderbird to send and receive you e-mails. It has the advantage that e-mail links on web pages now allow you to mail people direct. Also you do not have to put up with the webmail adverts.

You can still use webmail as well, and any changes you make, will be reflected by Thunderbird, and vice versa.

Perhaps you can think back to before April 2010, and work out what may have happened.

0 Ratings