cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 45

Accessing yahoo after migration to Bt mail using delegated authentication

For many years I have been happily logging into uk.yahoo.com to view things in my personalised view that includes things such as financial information. Since I was migrated to Bt mail about a week ago then I can no longer login to yahoo using my @btinternet.com address. If I try to login then I get continue to redirected to the normal Bt login prompt and can login there but this launches Bt mail but still does not allow me to access my personalised yahoo account. I presume the authentication used to pass back something like a SAML token to allow me to continue within the yahoo service.

if I try to reset my password on yahoo then I get redirected to change my password on the Bt site which is not what I want to do.

i contacted  Bt who completely failed to understand my issue even when I explained to level 2 customer service  and they told me there was no level 3 to escalate to. yahoo said it was a Bt issue..

I cannot believe that I am the only one to have had this problem. I did read something about unlinking my email address but Bt support could not provide any insight into this.

I guess I could just create a new yahoo account but will have to set up all the personalisation etc once again.

any ideas ?

0 Ratings
44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 45

Re: Accessing yahoo after migration to Bt mail using delegated authentication

Hi,

Logging in directly via yahoo was blocked many months ago on the web - if you tried to do it, it would show you a page that says not possible anymore and you need to use bt.com only. 

If you are now on BT Mail - you will not see the Yahoo UI anymore as the interfaces are different or have the ability to use a @btinternet.com login to access other yahoo services. This was an old integration that BT had which allowed you to use the email to access all of yahoo services. 

Your BT email and yahoo services are separate now:

if you want to access any yahoo services like finance etc, you need to create a separate login on the yahoo site.

Your BT email address will work separately but any password changes will need to be done via bt.com/forgotpassword only (this has been the case for a long time now anyway)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 45

Not sure that is entirely correct.  Yes the system changed some months ago and logging into yahoo took you to a page that gave a BT error and some options. One of these took you to login to Bt email which once done allowed you to then go back (previous pages via browser) to yahoo where you were authenticated. The whole thing is not totally broken as my IOS yahoo finance app still operates with my @btinternet.com although I have to admit I haven’t logged out and logged back in to it.

Regardless I do think this yahoo integration removal is something Bt should make their customers aware of. It is still legitimate to use a non yahoo email address as a yahoo login ID as is shown by the fact I can use a gmail address to create a customised yahoo view.  As part of the email migration then BT need to inform yahoo that they no longer support delegated authentication so that yahoo could (if they wanted) tell you to create a new yahoo only password to avoid losing access.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 45

I understand, this delegated login was never supported by BT. It was a by product of the email association with Yahoo but it’s something yahoo fully control. Flickr used to ke something similar but earlier this year they made any BT users authenticate locally and not through this delegated login. Anyhow you can’t go back now so best to create a local yahoo ID. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 45

Had exactly this same problem with accessing my old Yahoo.com finance portfolio files. Any remedy yet ? Used to be able to use Btinternet.com log in details only a few weeks back, not months as others said, but now cannot access any of my portfolio files. Creating new Yahoo.com account does not work since I cannot import any of the old data. Must be a way of recovering this former integrated account ? Just spent an hour on the line to BT, absolutely useless - just it can't be done. No previous notice of closing this link, so surely some contractual obligation here ? Appreciate if any one has found a work around

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 45

chrislack

I have replied to you on your own thread.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 45

Does that mean you have a solution. I still can’t access my old bt yahoo information
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 45

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 45

Many thanks for your guidance on this. Unfortunately despite being able to access the BT " Do this Now " page, it takes you back to a BT page with no further links on switchover. Just spent another hour on the telephone with a technical person in the background in complete denial that this is anything to do with BT. Just the standard reply " we switch over years ago and now you'd have to call Yahoo ".  Given the high numbers following this original thread I assume I cannot be alone with this problem.  Furthermore there appears to be no method of escalating the problem to higher levels within BT technical team. The fact that I remain on what appears to be a BT/Yahoo mail service since the top left hand corner of my email page still indicates so, together with the fact that I could access Yahoo finance services only up until a few weeks ( not months or years ) back surely indicates that that BT still had some shared services in place still. May be the case that I am one of very few left on BT/Yahoo mail, but nonetheless without having had any prior notice that BT and Yahoo were becoming divorced or that Switchover arrangements would cease, it would appear that BT is in breach of contract ( good luck with that one I hear you say ). Alas I continue to have some faith in the Forum community to resolve this matter and the fact that I seem to still be a BT/Yahoo mail user if only in name. Many thanks again to all who assist on this mission. I can of course set up a new Yahoo ID, but to migrate years of Portfolio data will be impossible. Since it was held in the BT/Yahoo cloud so to speak I never thought to hold desktop copy. Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 45

The BTYahoo migration was in 2014 and as I posted, they did advise people what to do with their Yahoo accounts and as far as I am aware access to the Yahoo services such as Yahoo Finance stopped about that time however I never used those services so I can not say if that was the case for sure. 

I suspect that the only way you will be able to resolve this is by contacting Yahoo because I suspect your data will be held on their servers but to confirm this I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings