Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Account and email account repeatedly be locked by BT

Go to solution

My email and BT account are repeatedly being locked. I am receiving a text on my mobile to say that BT have blocked my email address due to suspicious activity and I need to reset my password using memorable data. I do this and my account get released. I can then see my emails. Within 30 mins or so my account gets locked again and I have to repeat the process with a new password.

This has been going on for approx two weeks.

We have loaded BT's McAfee software, run Spybot and Malwarebytes Logger software, but the problem continues.

We are now at our wits end! Is the problem with our machine and if so what else can we do?

Is the problem with BT servers etc? If so, what should we do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated please, Thanks.

PS we have had no issues with our gmail account. (If thats relevant!)

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

No recover email option

Go to solution

We have been having trouble with our email login where we have repeatedly had to reset our password. Tonight BT have told us that the email account has been compromised but can be recovered in MyBT. However when we go to the manage email section we have no recover email option, only 2! create email buttons and one to import email. Whichever we choose we are told the email already exists. When we go to BT email we get a message stating "selected account BT account is not available". How do we get our email account back and working again please!

Thanks for any help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Re: No recover email option

Go to solution

Hi @Miker57 Sorry you have been unable to regain access to your email account. I've merged your posts as it best to keep all your posts on the one thread. 

Please check out How can I tell if my email account has been compromised?  and check out the steps required depending on whether you are on the BT Mail or BT Yahoo platform. Post back and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi John, Thanks very much for replying. We have tonight run through the checks suggested in the link, ie deleted obsolete contacts etc. We didnt spot anything untoward but it was good to do a spot of housekeeping anyway! We have changed the password again. We are baffled that when we try to recover email under Package/ manage email in MyBT we dont have a "recover email" option, only create or import. Also, when we try to login to BT mail we get a popup message stating "selected account BT Mail is  unavailable". Its as though the email address has been closed/reallocated/stolen etc. Before we spoke to BT online chat yesterday we could at least temporarily get to our emails. I hope this makes sense and you are able to help further. Thanks again, Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Miker57,

This can be triggered by an old password being stored on an email client or app. Do you have any devices that may be using the old details?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

hi Daniel, thanks for your help. We have double checked our devices and they only have Gmail accounts on them. We have removed any BT apps with the exception of BT Protect.

The problem seemed to occur when an order was placed to a third party Amazon seller in USA, an order that was subsequently cancelled less than 24 hours later. This was on the 8 sept. Could this have been a rogue seller?

We dont understand why we dont have a "recover email" option in the manage emails "  section of MyBT.

Hope this helps,

regards

mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Miker57,

If you're buying anything through Amazon you should only need to enter your log in details to their site. When you purchased through that seller did they make you enter your email and password at a different page?

I'd like to take a look at your email account for you to find out why you can't recover a particular email.

To get in touch with us, click on my user name, view profile, and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you. It may take us 1-2 working days before we can get back to you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@Miker57wrote:

hi Daniel, thanks for your help. We have double checked our devices and they only have Gmail accounts on them. We have removed any BT apps with the exception of BT Protect.

The problem seemed to occur when an order was placed to a third party Amazon seller in USA, an order that was subsequently cancelled less than 24 hours later. This was on the 8 sept. Could this have been a rogue seller?

We dont understand why we dont have a "recover email" option in the manage emails "  section of MyBT.

Hope this helps,

regards

mike

This sounds like a system failure in believing an email address is compromised. E.g. it might see emails supposedly being sent "from" your email address, but this is due to a spammer using it as the "from" address - and not the account actually being compromised at all.

(Have you seen any strange bounce/non delivery emails?)

This has happened before sometimes because of multiple attempts by devices after a password has been changed - because the devices have auto-check of emails, and would have the wrong password initially. But that's not always the case.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks Dan, email has been sent to you. To our knowledge my mum did not have a furthe email requesting login.

regards, mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi Dan, I have been reading through this posting again. I just wanted to clarify that it is not a particular email we are after, but the email address/account is blocked and we cannot recover it through MyBT.

Thanks again for your help.

regards

mike

0 Ratings