Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emz941
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Account compromised - Security questions appear to have been changed

Hello,

This morning I recieved an email from my BT account about my ebay account being comprimised. I have gone in and changed all of that but on my mobile device noticed emails have been deleted that I didn't even see. I have tried logging in and cannot, I have also tried re-setting my password but it states that the answers to my security questions are wrong. I know don't know how to gain access to my account to change the password and prevent this person using my personal details! 

Please help

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Account compromised - Security questions appear to have been changed

When you got the email are certain that it was a genuine email and did you use any links contained within the email?

Are you able to log onto your email account using webmail via this link

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Account compromised - Security questions appear to have been changed

@Emz941wrote:

Hello,

This morning I recieved an email from my BT account about my ebay account being comprimised. I have gone in and changed all of that but on my mobile device noticed emails have been deleted that I didn't even see. I have tried logging in and cannot, I have also tried re-setting my password but it states that the answers to my security questions are wrong. I know don't know how to gain access to my account to change the password and prevent this person using my personal details! 

Please help

Hi, welcome to the forums.

You say that you received an email about your eBay account being compromised, but infer that it's actually a BTinternet email address. Can you say what you actually did following the received email? Did you click on links within the email which took you to an apparent BT page in order for you to enter all sorts of stuff, including account details and password? Did it also ask for bank details etc?

Was the email saying that your eBay email address was compromised, rather than eBay account itself?

If you can't login to webmail via :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

or as you say, you can't change password due to security answers being altered - then this could be a problem.

The thing to do immediately, is if you use the email address and same password to login to all sorts of online places, forums & websites - you need to go into each and everyone of them and alter the password. Some sites will email saying you've changed password, so if the email account is now accessed by a hacker, they will know that you've changed password. Hopefully the email doesn't say what it is.

If you did provide any form of bank details, you need to immediately contact your bank and tell them.

Is the email address the primary address?

You might need moderator assistance with this, but you can't obviously use the email address at present to receive anything.

0 Ratings