cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 6

Account deletion in accordance to GDPR

Go to solution

I have not held a product or had an open account with BT for probably almost a decade now. After a security breach today, I was alerted to change my passwords. On the list was BT. I was alarmed that you have retained all of my personal data even though I have nothing to do with your company....for several YEARS!

There is no way at all on your website, no form to fill in, no directions, nothing gives details on how to delete your data in accordance to GDPR. Chat was no help either. Why have you held my data so long when I don't even have an account with you for anything?

I am sure this must be breaking GDPR rules somehow. I am not really shocked by this, however, and now I know I made the right decision leaving BT several years ago.

Does anybody know how you deal with this? Or who you report this to?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6

Re: Account Deletion

Go to solution

Did you manage to get your details deleted? We have not been with BT for almost a decade now and they refuse to delete our personal data.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: Account deletion in accordance to GDPR

Go to solution

This is just a customer to customer forum.

Try https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/privacypolicy/marketingpermission/bt/#/

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Re: Account deletion in accordance to GDPR

Go to solution

Thanks but already tried that. It seems to be about opting out of marketing emails. Even trying to fill in that form, it asks for my BT  phone number, which I have not had for almost a decade. I really don't understand why BT would keep an account with the old account number etc plus all of my old bills, from an account we closed almost a decade ago! 

So if anybody has any idea how we can get my personal data removed from BT altogether?

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @DELETEMYACCOUNTDATA,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

If you take a look at Our Privacy policy, you'll find all the information about BT Privacy Policy and how we hold and process customer data.

If you want to make a complaint on how we have handled your personal information, please contact our data protection officer. 

The details are - 

cpo@bt.com 

PO Box 2681
BT Centre
81 Newgate Street
London
EC1A 7AJ

If you are still not satisfied after our response or believe we are not using your personal information in line with the law, you also have the right to complain to the data-protection regulator in the country where you live or work. For the UK, that’s the Information Commissioner - https://ico.org.uk/.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for this info PaddyB!

0 Ratings