Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Account hacked would like to delete BT email

Go to solution

Hi There,

I'm reaching out for some help to close my BT email down.

My email account has been hacked and lots of emails with variants of my email address are being sent to old friends and family and people at work who were on my BT address book. I have changed the password a number of times but really haven't used my BT Yahoo email since 2015 and deleted all emails and the address book. However it is still continuing.

Therefore I would like to close my BT or BT Yahoo address down. When I try to do this I'm prevented to associate it to a BT ID with an error. I can't get any further. Please could someone help me close it down as I've had enough of people telling me they've been sent an email by me (when it hasn't been me). 

Thanks for your help

David

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Account hacked would like to delete BT email

Go to solution

@DavidJShrimpton 

There is nothing you can do once the hackers have your contacts list. They can keep pretending to be you, even if your account did not exist.

All you can do is to tell everyone to ignore any emails sent from that email address.

If you stop accessing the account, it will automatically be suspended then deleted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

You can't unsteal something that has been stolen, as @Keith_Beddoe  says, it will make absolutely no difference closing your email address.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for the reply and I really do appreciate the advice.

That said I would still like my email address deleted and not have to wait 6 months or so for it to go.

If someone can help me delete it I would be grateful.

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Does the email address not appear in the list of email addresses when you navigate to MYBT > Manage your Products > Manage email where it can be deleted.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

As has been said. It will make absolutely no difference if you delete the email account.

The hackers are using your stolen email contacts which they have and can continue to use when ever they want.

The hackers will be spoofing your email address to make it appear that it is coming from your email account when in fact it is not so deleting the email account will not stop that from happening and your contacts will still receive emails from the hackers.

Have you checked in your MyBT > Manage email > to see if there is an option there to delete the account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Yes it asks me to associate my email account with my BT ID. When I try to do this I get an error

Thanks for the advice though. However I still don’t want to be associated with the email address. At least I can say it’s not me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

You clearly don't believe what the three of us are telling you, but hey ho, I will ask if one of the mods can delete your account for you. They are extremely busy at the moment so may be some time before they respond.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @DavidJShrimpton, I'm sorry to see your email was hacked, the moderation team will be able to raise a request to delete the email but this, unfortunately, won't prevent the hackers from utilising the contacts they have already harvested from your email account. 

I'll send you a private message so you can get in touch and we'll be happy to help. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Once the email account has been confirmed as deleted, simply advise all your family and friends to BLOCK your deleted email account and they will  not be bothered any further. In fact, they would have already have blocked your hacked email account had you told them it was no longer in use.

Presumably you have another email account you can use.

0 Ratings