cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Account locked due to unusual activity

Hi, My BT account, email and all associated sub accounts have been locked out as they suspect 'unusual activity'. I called up to see why and they said BT had been migrating some accounts and it had caused people to be locked out. I wonder what the extent of this error is? They apologised and said they'd send an email to verify who I was to sort the problem quickly. Obviously the problem meant I couldn't get into my email as there was no other way to verify who I was. They have sent a code through the post!! and it could take 7 days to arrive. I am so cross that BT caused the problem and now I'd without email on all my 6 accounts!!! This is unacceptable. Am I entitled to compensation? I have raised a complaint but I'm not hopeful it's going to result in anything. Thanks Pauline

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Account locked due to unusual activity

As regards compensation. The short answer is no. Automatic Compensation is only due for loss of landline service or loss of broadband service. Email is not covered.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

You could try and claim compensation from BT but I suspect you would need to prove some sort of loss because you were without the service.

You can and should have added a recovery email address or phone number in your profile in your MyBT which BT could have used to either call/text or email you the PIN code you need. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@frappywrote:

Hi, My BT account, email and all associated sub accounts have been locked out as they suspect 'unusual activity'. I called up to see why and they said BT had been migrating some accounts and it had caused people to be locked out. I wonder what the extent of this error is? They apologised and said they'd send an email to verify who I was to sort the problem quickly. Obviously the problem meant I couldn't get into my email as there was no other way to verify who I was. They have sent a code through the post!! and it could take 7 days to arrive. I am so cross that BT caused the problem and now I'd without email on all my 6 accounts!!! This is unacceptable. Am I entitled to compensation? I have raised a complaint but I'm not hopeful it's going to result in anything. Thanks Pauline

Hi, welcome to the forums.

There have been a few similar posts to yours, and from your response from BT - it could be down to the fact that BT have started to migrate the BTYahoo email users onto BTMail (at least testing the process by doing a few).

If the system has indeed caused this problem, the migration team certainly need to be aware that they could be causing this (if they don't know already) and the moderators should be telling them.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

yes thanks, my recovery email address is the one I can't access! BT called me back on my mobile while they investigated a line fault also but they couldn't use that to send the pin despite me talking to the same person at length. I will have to wait for snail mail !!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The idea of a recovery email address is to make it one that could be used should the BT email system fail or your BT email account is deleted. It follows that it is best not to use a BT email address as your recovery email.

BT should have been able to send a text to your mobile, assuming that is registered as your/the account holder's recovery phone number.

0 Ratings