Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilLLangoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Account security - constant requests for password reset

Hi

I have now been asked to reset my password 5 times in the last 5 days as BT think my email account may have been compromised. I also run a full virus scan, checked outgoing emails, and all the other recommended actions and no problems are showing up. Address is used on my laptop, i-phone and i-pad. Any ideas what the problem might be please?

Thanks

Phil

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Account security - constant requests for password reset

Yes, flaky BT mail servers, a problem that has been ongoing for far too many years!

0 Ratings
PhilLLangoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thanks - so nothing I can do about it?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

You could try setting your iphone and or ipad not to poll for email and only collect it manually and see how you get on. If you do need them to poll for your email set them to poll less frequently.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Not really, no. The only thing you could try is to stop all your devices automatically polling the mail server and just manually poll as necessary and see if that helps.

Typing as gg30340 posted

0 Ratings
PhilLLangoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Thanks for this advice. Not sure if this will have any effect, as it has happened now while my ipad and phone have been offline due to not updating the password.

The problem has now recurred half a dozen times over the last 24 hours, sometime within 20 minutes of a password re-set. The Chat people have all guaranteed that they have solved the problem and of course none have, so I have asked for it to be escalated - promised a call-back yesterday but no-one did, so trying again today. Really fed up though, and a really poor reflection on BT's service standards.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

If you still have your iphone and ipad switched on and connected to the Internet, they will be polling for email while the password set up on them is incorrect. It will be seen by the system that somebody is trying to access your email account multiple times with the incorrect password. This will trigger a security risk and no doubt lock your account until you change the password.

If you are not trying the fixes that have been suggested I would suggest that you delete your email accounts from your iphone and ipads or at the very least stop them from automatically polling for email with the incorrect password. 

PhilLLangoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Thanks. No way I can not use phone and tablet for email. I have set them to low-power mode, which seems to be the way to stop them "polling", for the time being, but will need regular email access next week when I am away from home. Low-power will automatically switch back on once the battery is charged in any case. Is there any other way to stop them regularly polling?
0 Ratings
PhilLLangoed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

And I have ttried all the suggested fixes - password obviously, virus scan, thorough clear-out of email addresses, checked outgoing mails, etc etc
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Turn off all devices except for laptop/PC. Change password in webmail, wait at least an hour and then turn on one device only and change the password on that, once that works ok turn on next device and set new password, rinse and repeat for further devices. The key is not to have multiple devices attempting to connect with the incorrect password.,