cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tony1478
Message 1 of 4

Adding a btinternet email account to Outlook for Ipad

My btinternet.com email stopped working on the Outlook app for IPad, I deleted account and tried to re-add to Outlook, it will not accept the email address and password stating the IMAP Auto Detect failed. I tried advance settings, adding the correct server details etc and still it will not add the account. I have spent hours talking to BT, Microsoft and Apple help desks to no avail. I am able to access the email on the IPad default email app and using a browser. I can also add the account on My Mail app on IPAD by using the 'OTHER' option for email provider - Outlook doesn't give that option..

Has anyone else had this problem and could they help please.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: Adding a btinternet email account to Outlook for Ipad

@tony1478 wrote:

My btinternet.com email stopped working on the Outlook app for IPad, I deleted account and tried to re-add to Outlook, it will not accept the email address and password stating the IMAP Auto Detect failed. I tried advance settings, adding the correct server details etc and still it will not add the account. I have spent hours talking to BT, Microsoft and Apple help desks to no avail. I am able to access the email on the IPad default email app and using a browser. I can also add the account on My Mail app on IPAD by using the 'OTHER' option for email provider - Outlook doesn't give that option..

Has anyone else had this problem and could they help please.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Similar issues have been reported, but with the Outlook android app.

Unfortunately deleting and re-adding may actually be the wrong thing to do, and just simply wait out the problem. Of course, that's with hindsight and nothing the user could really envisage.

I assume you're with BTMail rather than BTYahoo, since that's what seems to be the problem email.

When you try to set up advanced, can you try adding the port number after the server name. So for IMAP server use

mail.btinternet.com:993

and for smtp, use

mail.btinternet.com:465

This hasn't worked for the android user unfortunately. For the latter server, you could also try port number 587 or 25, but those aren't really recommended.

0 Ratings
tony1478
Message 3 of 4

Hi Andy Thanks for the quick reply, tried all your suggestions but didn't solve the problem. To me it seems that the main problem is that Outlook does not offer a email provider of 'other' which seems to work with other email apps. Even so this must be more of a problem than just me and so frustrating that no one seems to be able to help at Microsoft, Apple or Bt. Thanks again.
0 Ratings
fifer1
Message 4 of 4

I'm trying to add a BT email account to outlook on a different computer. It simply does not do it. The dialogue box comes up, i add the email and password, but then get an error. No matter how often I've tried - same problem. The email and password are correct as i can log into BT with them.

0 Ratings