cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Advice for BT Email customers who use clients to access their email?

Go to solution

Hi,

Will this resolve the issue with 'Office 365 Outlook' addition of BT emails accounts failing to connect or dropping IMAP server connectivity?

I have spent a few days now and cannot add my BT email to my Outlook client. I have read in the community that others have the same issue. Would a BT techy be able to address the question?

I've used the information you've linked in your announcement to check all settings. Note there is no box to tick for Authentication for SMPT in 365. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Advice for BT Email customers who use clients to access their email?

Go to solution

Hi, did you manage to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem - I started a new bt email address and cannot link it to Outlook or Windows Mail (all my older bt addresses linked without a problem). It is so frustrating - and time consuming!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

@GeoffreyTeewrote:

Hi, did you manage to resolve this issue? I'm having the same problem - I started a new bt email address and cannot link it to Outlook or Windows Mail (all my older bt addresses linked without a problem). It is so frustrating - and time consuming!

How long ago did you set up this new email account?

Can you access if via webmail:-

https://www.bt.com/mail

Are you using the correct settings as shown here :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

I set up the new email account 4 days ago. I can send emails to the new account via outlook and Windows mail and can access the new account via BT webmail. 

When trying to set up Outlook and Windows Mail as clients I've inputted the details precisely according to the settings as in the url you suggested.  Outlook simply produces a field-populated pop-up asking for username and password (the fields are correct), if I click ok the pop-up reappears again and again so the new BT email account can't actually be added. With Windows Mail, a pop-up says 'We can't access this account. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device'. Again the inputted details are correct as per the BT recommendations.

I added another BT account to Outlook and Windows Mail at the same time as the one I'm having problems with and that worked fine. The difference being that the account which worked fine is a year or so older. Seems to be a problem with newly-created BT accounts?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Can you log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Product" > Email > Manage and see if the "new" email address is there and Active. Also check to see if it mentions what type of email account it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Yes the new address is included in my email list and Active.  My Account type is 'Standard'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

If your account is showing as "Standard" it should work with email clients. If it was showing as "Basic" it would not work with email clients.

Assuming you can access and send and receive with the email account when you log onto webmail it might be that you are going to have to try the following.

You should stop all your devices from checking for email rom the email account. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can still access and send/recieve your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the new password to one of your devices and check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin....

In case you have used special characters in your password the £  and ¬ (logical NOT) character are accepted by BT passwords and will work with webmail and BTID logins, however because these characters are not part of the US ASCII character set, they will typically not work with IMAP email clients (this is a limitation of the IMAP specifications).

BT will be addressing this in an upcoming change to their password screens, and in the meantime it is recommend avoiding these characters in passwords for email accounts regardless of which device you are using.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

The link in your message doesn't work...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Those are the settings I was using. The good news is that by changing the password on the BT account and then adding to both Outlook and Windows Mail it's worked!

All very strange...

Thanks for your help. 

0 Ratings