cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 8

After eg deleting an email, why does the cursor go back to the top i.e. where the newest mail is?

Go to solution

Teething pains continue.

Another moan is that only seven emails are showing at any one time on my screen - using IE11. If I read and then either delete or save an email, the cursor always goes back to the top, the newest email. When I'm playing catch-up and reading emails numbers 15 though 20 say and I delete one, it's a pain having to go back to find the next one to read/action.

Why can't the cursor stay in the same place after I've deleted/saved an email?

Is it my settings?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: After eg deleting an email, why does the cursor go back to the top i.e. where the newest mail is

Go to solution

Try going into "Settings" > Mail > Action after email has been deleted moved > select go to next message.

While in " Settings" select the number of emails you want showing by entering the number in list size.

Once again I would recommend using an email client, it's so much easier.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Re: After eg deleting an email, why does the cursor go back to the top i.e. where the newest mail is

Go to solution

Resistance is futile Taffy, you will have to succumb to a mail client eventually Smiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

I meant to say, I see you are using IE11 which obviously can not be on your XP machine so presumably you have finally moved on from your XP machine. Next bold step is an email client. 

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340. Your settings tip resolved the cursor movement after deletion. Wonderful!

Re number of emails showing, it was already set to the default of 50. I changed it to 10 but all that does is to limit (to 10) the number of emails that can be read by scrolling down. The actual number displayed on screen in my In-box is still 7. Is that what shows on your PC?

Thanks too for continuing to nudge me about moving to an email client (you too Licquorice!). I've just seen what Outlook looks like on my wife's I-Pad and I like it. I used to have Outlook Express (which was all that BT supported at the time) but it was rather insecure. At that time both Outlook and Outlook Express could only be accessed from your home PC but thankfully all that has changed.

I will look at Microsoft's Live package - that used to use Outlook - and get myself going!! I'll also revisit the advice you gave me when first I raised that matter to confirm that it qualifies as an email client. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It's clear BT is still having problems with the new mail. 

Despite my having changed the General Mail Setting to "Show the next message" in 'Action after email has been deleted or moved', the cursor is today going back to the top.  Just what I don't need when reviewing sixty emails received over the weekend.

I can't wait to get my mail client (Outlook) and new email address there sorted out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

See reply here

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/and-now-REPLY-isn-t-working/td-p/1372157

If you are using BTMail try it without the Preview pane. This should allow the full list of emails to be shown. To change viw to show without the preview pane go to the right hand corner and click "change view" and click "No Preview".

Taffy078
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

absolutely brilliant, gg30340. Not only does it show the old-style full list of emails, but everything is working - the Delete & Reply functions and now links in emails are also working. (I was just going to post to say that they have just stopped working. I had the emails open not in Preview).

And the speed is now back to normal - touch wood!

Many thanks - yet again!  Smiley LOL

0 Ratings