cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danit
Message 1 of 4

All BT Internet email rejected - SMTP 554 Policy (3.2.2.1)

We recently moved a mail server from one IP to another and since then we are unable to send to any BT email addresses.

I have followed the guidelines set out here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47055 but this hasn't resolved the issue. In fact everything was in place before except DKIM which now I've implemented still doesn't resolve the issue.

So the setup:

HmailServer

Multiple domains send from this one IP

All domains have a SPF record

Test domain also has DKIM signing

Reverse DNS matches

Cyren IP Reputation shows 'No Risk'

I can send from the test account with no issues to any other domain including Gmail, Yahoo, AOL Office 365 and on-site Exchange servers.

The error message is:

Error Type: SMTP
Remote server (65.20.0.49) issued an error.
hMailServer sent: .
Remote server replied: 554 Message rejected on 2017/06/15 13:46:41 BST, policy (3.2.2.1) – Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/bulksender

I have spoken to BT who keep blaming it on configuration but surely if that was the case, it would affect all other email services too? Has anybody had this issue and managed to get it resolved?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: All BT Internet email rejected - SMTP 554 Policy (3.2.2.1)

@danit wrote:

I have spoken to BT who keep blaming it on configuration but surely if that was the case, it would affect all other email services too? Has anybody had this issue and managed to get it resolved?

Did you contact postmaster@btinternet.com? They should have been able to tell you if SPF or DKIM checks are failing or its something else. All email services are not the same as they have different SPAM engines, rules and policies.

"If you're an administrator of a mail server (for an ISP or a hosted email service) and you're compliant with the principles here, but your server is still encountering problems sending to BT customers, please get in touch via postmaster@btinternet.com. The postmaster team can only help if you've followed the principles we've covered here."

0 Ratings
danit
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the reply, to be honest I've given up with it and just used Amazon's SMTP relay service for outgoing emails for the domains served by this server. I clearly wasn't going to get a helpful answer from BT in regards to this, this the only service that emails bounce back from but they don't give you any indication of where they get the information to block the IP or how you can remove this yourself.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@New_To_UK wrote:

@danit wrote:

Did you contact postmaster@btinternet.com? They should have been able to tell you if SPF or DKIM checks are failing or its something else. All email services are not the same as they have different SPAM engines, rules and policies.

"If you're an administrator of a mail server (for an ISP or a hosted email service) and you're compliant with the principles here, but your server is still encountering problems sending to BT customers, please get in touch via postmaster@btinternet.com. The postmaster team can only help if you've followed the principles we've covered here."

Hi.

As I've mentioned many times, contacting the postmaster is NOT the answer. BTinternet email system is not run correctly. I repeat, every one of the 10s of 1000s of businesses cannot contact the postmaster - it is simply not possible. If BT wants their users to get valid emails from these companies, then they need to fix the system. It is NOT down to the sender to get it fixed one at a time.

All this will result in 100s of 1000s of customers not receiving possibly important emails.

If this continues to be the case, users should stop using btinternet email and use something else like Gmail.

0 Ratings