cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 3

All Email Accounts suspended while abroad, AGAIN!!!

Ok, completely at the end of my tether now.

This first started happening in 2020, I was abroad in a hotel and all of my 5 BT Email accounts got locked, when I got back home I was told it was because of suspicious activity on them.  Later told that if you are connected to WiFi where numerous others are as well, this is picked up by BT as being 'suspicious' and they block the account.

So how does this affect me.  Well, it means I have to go through a very long, very laborious journey to access what could be very important emails.  I have to do this with every account and on every device that I have access to the accounts on, e.g. with Outlook.  Trust me this is hours of work every time it happens.

Spoke with BT the last time it happened in in January in Thailand and was told no way they can stop it, that it is what it is.  I pointed out that they could just be locked and then unlocked when proof of user provided, rather than a full scale Password replacement and unlocking having to happen.

What's more galling is that having left BT for Mobile Broadband due to slow landline speeds, I now have to pay £7.99 pm for the privilege of being able to access my account as I can't migrate them to another provider using the same email address and BT won't let me use Outlook etc to access them on the free provision model.

Anyway, here I am in Brazil, I told my wife that we shouldn't access (read or send) emails while on Hotel Wifi this time and only do it on the ESIM data.  But no, one day after landing and EVERY ACCOUNT is locked again without accessing any emails or sending any.

This is completely unacceptable, does anybody know how I can move my addresses to another supplier, Please.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3

Consistently getting E-mail accounts blocked when on holiday

Ok, completely at the end of my tether now.

This first started happening in 2020, I was abroad in a hotel and all of my 5 BT Email accounts got locked, when I got back home I was told it was because of suspicious activity on them.  Later told thta if you are connected to WiFi where numerous others are as well, this is picked up by BT as being 'suspicious' and they block the account.

So how does this affect me.  Well, it means I have to go through a very long, very laborious journey to access what could be very important emails.  I have to do this with every account and on every device that I have access to the accounts on, e.g. with Outlook.  Trust me this is hours of work every time it happens.

Spoke with BT the last time it happened in in January in Thailand and was told no way they can stop it, that it is what it is.  I pointed out that they could just be locked and then unlocked when proof of user provided, rather than a full scale Password replacement and unlocking having to happen.

What's more galling is that having left BT for Mobile Broadband due to slow landline speeds, I now have to pay £7.99 pm for the privilege of being able to access my account as I can't migrate them to another provider using the same email address and BT won't let me use Outlook etc to access them on the free provision model.

Anyway, here I am in Brazil, I told my wife that we shouldn't access (read or send) emails while on Hotel Wifi this time and only do it on the ESIM data.  But no, one day after landing and EVERY ACCOUNT is locked again without accessing any emails or sending any.

This is completely unacceptable, does anybody know how I can move my addresses to another supplier, Please

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: All Email Accounts suspended while abroad, AGAIN!!!

You can not move your email address to another supplier. You could "forward" your BTMail email to another provider such as gmail and access it from there rather than directly from BT. This might also alleviate the problem when abroad. You would still need to pay for the BTPremium email to be able to use "forwarding" as it is not available with a BTMail basic account.

As regards the problem when abroad, it is often the case that the IP address when you make the connection is blacklisted. This is particularly the case with public wifi hotspots.  The only thing you can do is to try another connection, but it may be too late by then and your account is already locked.

When abroad, make sure that your email client is not set to auto poll for email because when you are connected either by your esim data or by wifi your email client may be trying to auto poll frequently and this could be being seen as a possible hack attack on your account.

It can also be that the use of email clients/app when abroad are problematic but webmail works. Not as convenient but have you tried just using webmail? 

0 Ratings