cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenalouiseh
Message 1 of 15

All emails from BTMail account have disappeared

Go to solution

I logged in to my email twice this morning, and some time between the first and second login my entire email archive including everything in sent, drafts, trash and custom folders has disappeared. During the first log in I just deleted a few spam emails and nothing seemed out of place.

How can I recover my emails? I called the BT helpline and they said there was nothing they could do. This happened about 2 hours ago.

I've had this email account for around 10 years so there's a lot of information contained in the emails that I need access to.

Really hoping someone can help. Thanks.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: All emails from BTMail account have disappeared

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

I assume that you are a current BT Broadband customer?

How do you access your e-mail, is it via the webmail interface, or do you use an e-mail client?

If you use webmail, then it may be a temporary issue, however if you need to keep a copy of important e-mails, then I would recommend that you use an e-mail client like Thunderbird. That will allow you to keep a local copy, and also save an archive copy.

0 Ratings
lenalouiseh
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Hey Keith_Beddoe, I use the webmail interface
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

@lenalouiseh wrote:
Hey Keith_Beddoe, I use the webmail interface

I think it would be worth trying an e-mail client, as that will replicate all ot the folders locally on your computer.

If you would like to try that, then the instructions are on this page.

Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - IMAP connection 

- allows folder synchronization between devices

0 Ratings
lenalouiseh
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
Sorry I only caught the beginning of your reply. Thanks, I hope it's a temporary issue. Good advice about the email client - this has made me feel like a tool for not backing up my emails before now.
0 Ratings
lenalouiseh
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
Would Thunderbird recover the emails I had before or just back up any new emails from this point forward?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@lenalouiseh wrote:
Would Thunderbird recover the emails I had before or just back up any new emails from this point forward?

Thunderbird would not recover e-mails that do not exist any more. What it does is to make a direct connection to the BT mail server, and replicate the folders, and all of the contents.

If you have a lot of messages, then its could take a few minutes to download all of the folders and contents.

The BT webmail service can be intermittent at the best of times, and most experienced forum members would recommend that you use an e-mail client instead, and only use web mail when you need access away from home, and you do not own a mobile phone or tablet computer.

I would say at this point, that its more likely an issue with webmail.

If you need any help with Thunderbird, there is a good help file, or you can ask here on the forum.

0 Ratings
lenalouiseh
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Great advice, thanks. I've only ever used webmail directly so will definitely give Thunderbird a go. First I'm going to wait a few hours and hope whatever server issue it might be gets cleared up. I'll post again if there's any change.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@lenalouiseh wrote:
Great advice, thanks. I've only ever used webmail directly so will definitely give Thunderbird a go. First I'm going to wait a few hours and hope whatever server issue it might be gets cleared up. I'll post again if there's any change.

I would still give Thunderbird a try, as you will not lose anything that is on the server as it only makes a copy, and you may find e-mails from long ago, that you had forgotten about Smiley Wink

If you delete an e-mail within Thunderbird, then it will be deleted off the BT mail server and end up in trash.

0 Ratings
lenalouiseh
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Installed Thunderbird. Nice serene interface compared with BTMail 😛

Only emails I have received since this morning are in Thunderbird so assuming all my emails have been either wiped off the server or are just currently unreadable. Maybe in a few hours they'll reappear - saw another user have this issue resolved in that manner so I'll cross my fingers.

0 Ratings