cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

All items in sent folder have disappeared!

Help!

All the items in the sent folder of my @btinternet.com account have literally all disapeared apart from the most recent four that I have sent since Wednesday 18 May.

This is the same whether accessing on an imap client on an iPhone or via the BT website via a browser

I called e-mail support and all they said was that this sometimes happens and that there is no way to get them back (apart for wait and hope!)

This is beyond belief! does anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: All items in sent folder have disappeared!

No progress on this.

I communicated on Twitter with BT and they also say all the e-mails in my SENT folder are lost foerever. They have raised an official complaint for me.

Am I on the only one? I have read other threads about people losing their inboxes, and eventually getting them recovered.

I there a moderator who might be able to help?

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 3 of 9

Hi @SteveS99,

Thank you for posting. I'm sorry your sent items are missing. If you send me your details, I'll be able to get this investigated.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hello @SteveS99  .

This  also happened to me in early March , this year .  I sent messages about it in this Community, I had replies  from distinguished Sages enquiring about my account set up, and when I looked into it nothing appeared incorrect . I had replies from many other users with similar problems  going back to last year , and mostly nothing was resolved . I’ve also had communications with a moderator by telephone @RobbieMac who made me think that my missing sent emails would be retrieved . 
So I waited patiently and I finally got a reply from the moderator last week  telling me that they were deleted with no explanation why , or by who , or what to do to stop it happening again .

I was hoping that other people weren’t having similar issues as I haven’t noticed many postings on this subject recently . And then I see your message sent in May , so whatever is causing sent emails to disappear is unfortunately still going on.
I’m not happy. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
SteveS99
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thanks Julie

My experience is similar and I have now been told my sent e-mails are lost forever

I had call back from @PaddyB  who was sympathetic and helpful, and it was also escalated to a senior team after a twitter conversation where the twitter team raised a complaint for me.

I then had a call back from a "senior" member of the BT team - but only to express sympathy and tell me my sent items were lost forever!

He admitted ours were not isolated incidents! I'm not happy either, but I guess I have come to terms with it. I just pray it never happens with my inbox!

The more that share experiences the better ... hopefully we can help avoid it happening to others

0 Ratings
JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hello Steve , 

Yes we can share the experiences so that BT can’t make out that these are unusual and isolated incidents . But I don’t see how we can prevent it happening to others as BT do not give any advance  information as to when they do something on their system which causes this to happen , therefore giving time to back up . And there is no explanation as to why it happened . 

I have also come to terms with the fact that > 10 years of emails just disappeared, however it makes some aspects of life / work very difficult when you try to communicate with  people who you don’t have regular contact and don’t have access to the history .
Many years ago I used to work for an international printing inks company who said that they were trying to make things paperless ( to their disadvantage ) , however now I’m having to print out anything important , which is a step backwards , and I need a new filing cabinet ! Husband now works from home constantly, so I don’t  have much access to the main computer to save everything into relevant directories , which I think that from now on I’m going to have to try to do , but it’s so time consuming. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

The answer is extremely simple, just use a mail client rather than webmail and all your mail can be backed up along with your regular backup routine.

JulieT21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

@licquorice 

I don’t know what you mean by a mail client . I am semi retired , and don’t have access to an IT department any more ! 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

A mail client is dedicated program or app to handle email. Windows 10 comes with one built in but a better popular free alternative is Mozilla Thunderbird.

0 Ratings