cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 24

Another Yahoo hack.

This time an estimated one billion accounts hacked and info stolen

When is BT going to finish the BT/Yahoo mail migration to BT Mail?

This was all supposed to have happened years ago.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Another Yahoo hack.

BT have not come back with any useful information on this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762

There seems to be a Moderator policy of making any thread on hacked accounts so big that any evidence is obscured.

This was as far as I got:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Help-from-users-with-compromised-accounts/m-p/1001872#M62196

0 Ratings
mrtilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Are Bt are in breach of contract for not changing from BT Yahoo mail as promised? This recent annoucement happed in 2013 and they tell us now!  has there been more attacks since? BT say they take  security seriously if they did why have the left us on BT Yahoo mail? I cant trust having a BT Yahoo mail account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 24

Nobody is forcing you to have BTYAHOO email account. Close it and use Gmail.
Grumpy2016
Beginner
Message 5 of 24

I have been asking BT for at least two years when they will transfer me away from Yahoo.  The reply is always 'We understand your concern and we should be completing the transfers in the next couple of months'.  They are clearly not concerned that Yahoo is a hackers paradise.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 24

Nobody said anything about being forced to use BT/Yahoo. I actually have my own domain email for certain things but good to have alternative addresses. Also some people will only use BT.
My point is years ago BT said they were transferring Yahoo accounts to BT Mail, they seen to have forgotten about this and since then Yahoo has been hacked a few times.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

@licquorice wrote:
Nobody is forcing you to have BTYAHOO email account. Close it and use Gmail.

Or use an email client such as Thunderbird. I don't defend BT's apparent lack of action, or the definite lack of information, in respect of the (non-)migration to BT Mail, but I do say that storing personal information on someone else's server is a poor second to keeping it on your own computer, effectively backed up. If you prefer to expose your contacts and correspondence to potential hackers, stick with webmail.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 24

The "recent" hacks appear to be before the BT email migration started and then stopped.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 24

@vofsanity2 wrote:

BT have not come back with any useful information on this:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BT-email-accounts-hacked/td-p/796762

There seems to be a Moderator policy of making any thread on hacked accounts so big that any evidence is obscured.

This was as far as I got:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Help-from-users-with-compromised-accounts/m-p/1001872#M62196

Yahoo's recent announcement says the hack occurred in August 2013 but the two threads above concern incidents starting in March 2013.

0 Ratings
mrtilly
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

yes, no one is forcing me to have BT Yahoo email, however all my contacts know me by it. My cards show my bt email address so it not quite that simple. The thing to remember BT promised to change it to a BT email, it's alsopart of my package with my broadband. So if I'm going have to change my email to someone else because the BT yahoo email may be at risk I be as well changing my broadband to another provider. ? Do you work for BT

0 Ratings