cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gterry
Contributor
Message 41 of 67

Re: Anyone else unable to connect to mail.btinternet.com this evening?

Can someone tell me how to tell if an account has been migrated? I look after a few laptops for elderly friends and was called out today because of POP error messages with Windows Live Mail. The fault was intermittent: usually closing down the connection and establishing a new one got the connection to the server going OK, and this is with the 'old' settings.

Most of the folk I look after use POP3, not webmail. Can I move everyone over to the new settings? Will these work even if someone hasn't yet beem migrated?

Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 42 of 67

They seem to be doing it a bit at a time. I had the same as you up to now 2 days ago.  pop and the old settings  then after many tries I inputted the new settings and they have been working since then-995/465-SSL both incoming and outgoing . But still not changed over to new DP service as still taken to BTyahoo email site which has a new thinner shape of yahoo sign but still the "new" site. Going by the posts it could be a  while yet  till we are fully transferred. But at least its a start. If you are still on the old settings thenyou will continue to get some trouble till the new ones work.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 43 of 67

@Brighton_Rock wrote:

We are still awaiting guidance from BT on which setting should be used. http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6876/kw/pop%20settings/c/346,412,6475/session/L3RpbWU... still suggests 110/25 - and it seems that some can still use them - but 995/465 was the only way I could get my email to work earlier this week.

Smtp port 25 needs ssl disabled, it may be that some were trying to use it with ssl enabled.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
woodster123
Beginner
Message 44 of 67

Outlook 2007

Incoming and Outgoing mail server = mail.btinternet.com

Server Port Numbers

Incoming server POP3 = 995

Tick next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)

Outgoing server SMTP = 465

Use the fllowing type of encrypted connection = SSL

Can't connect.  Help!!

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 45 of 67

Do you get an error message?

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 67

Try going back to outgoing 25 with no encryption

0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 47 of 67

Woodster123- Have you gone to the BT yahoo site and tried to log in there and when you are there is  the boxes already filled in. Can you get through on the ones already there ? or if not try inputting your xxxx@btinternet.com and re-instating password if you cant get through. Then try again in your email client using the new ports .If not put old ones back in.

0 Ratings
woodster123
Beginner
Message 48 of 67

Thanks all for the replies.  Still no joy.

Error messages (after using the Test Account Settings button in Outlook 2007:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Same errors whther using 25 no encryption or 465 SSl or TLS

Logged into mail via btyahoo.com with existing username and password successfully.  Sent a test message to own address, received successfully.

I've been trying to get this to work for 2 hours now so am now going to give up for the night.

Thanks again for your replies, I'll check thread again in the morning.

BT woeful :((

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 49 of 67

Have you tried going back to incoming 110 no encryption also check that you have ticked the box "my server requires authentication" and the account details are filled in corrrectly in the settings page.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 50 of 67

I agree, official advice is still 25/110 ssl disabled so if problems occur then switch to that.

Oliver.
0 Ratings